Spitzhaubens

Pics
I taught another chicken related class today & brought some 6 week old chicks along. 2 Spitz, a Bielefelder, & a RIR. The Spitz stole the show- as usual. One boy stayed after class & longed to hold a chick. Although the Biele is the most docile, I let him try a Spitz. She perched on his hand, then arm, & then finally claimed his shoulder as the perfect spot. She snuggled in & was content to simply sit there while I cleaned up the classroom. The boy looked like a pirate. I'm still amazed at how sweet this breed is. I guess I expected them to be more flighty - like my Sebright used to be. (The Sebright lands on my arm when called.... but it took some training & trust.) I think the Spitz will easily surpass my Sebright. I never would have let anyone hold the crazy-wild sebright at 6 wks.

My spitz are "flighty" but very sweet.

For almost a week I had my brooder with two, almost three week old chicks right next to my brooder of newly hatched...no lids.

As I sat there messing with a problem newly hatched chick, one of the Spitz flew up to the edge and of the brooder, then into the baby brooder.

I watched closely, but he had ZERO interest in pecking or hurting the tiny chicks (some bantams too), and just wanted to try their water and food.... Then he flew back out.

That greatly impressed me! Most chickens have a very high "eat all other chickens" prey drive.

I find my Spitz and my Dominiques are not like that at all. :)

Boy or girl?

Very interesting looking! What is the cross he's from?
ameraucana roo over Spitzhauben hen but I didn't have the birds. It hatched from eggs that were sent as polish. Everything was polish except him. When I called the breeder she said she must have sent a spitz by accident since that was her only other white egg layer but he's not pure. She has an ameracauna roo that she said could have gotten the hens when the kids had them all out together.

ameraucana roo over Spitzhauben hen but I didn't have the birds. It hatched from eggs that were sent as polish. Everything was polish except him. When I called the breeder she said she must have sent a spitz by accident since that was her only other white egg layer but he's not pure. She has an ameracauna roo that she said could have gotten the hens when the kids had them all out together.

Fun! I bet he'd make a great roo for an Easter egged project!

By now I have figured out that I have 2 male & 2 female Spitzhaubens. They're growing up with 6 other chicks. The Spitz are easily the leaders. I like how easily they learn things because they are then teaching the other chicks. A few weeks ago, I had to pick up each one, put them into a tote, & carry them to their tractor for grass time. Reverse procedure to get them back inside the coop. After a week, I would carry some & make others walk beside me until we reached the destination. Then I moved on to letting everyone walk while I used a broom to encourage the slow pokes to move along. Today was the 1st day I no longer needed the broom. I opened the chicken door, and the hens came running out followed by the chicks. The chicks ran straight to their tractor, found the open door, & went inside. Because of a huge downpour, I ran outside to let the babies go back to the coop. (Tractor has roof, but rain can get inside sideways.) No problem getting them to run back to the coop! An hour later, the rain stopped, I open the door, & the chicks ran back out straight to their tractor. They stay in a group (almost a line) & then walk through the door in single file. Such good little chickies! My neighbors joke that it's the school teacher in me.

Back
Top Bottom