Spitzhaubens

Pics
Trying to keep myself busy, so I made a quick video of my chicks.This is how I get them back & forth from the chicken tractor to the coop. It only took them a few days to learn the routine. In the beginning they walked with me, but now they do it mostly by themselves. By next week, they'll all be inside awaiting a treat before I even get 1/2 way. The Spitzhaubens were the 1st to catch on & help lead the others.
0.jpg

Here are a few pics of the female with the good crest.

Her tail is normally up. She was acting shy in this pic.

PS- On a personal note, I'm keeping myself busy because I lost my fav hen a few days ago. Unlike the chicks, she was trained to do real tricks. She assisted in teaching classes, did a few "magic" tricks with me, and was a great companion. (More of a pet than a chicken) She was often in the local papers and was truly loved by many. Cuddles even got "thank you" cards from students.
RIP my sweet Cuddles.

Trying to keep myself busy, so I made a quick video of my chicks.[COLOR=333333]This is how I get them back & forth from the chicken tractor to the coop. It only took them a few days to learn the routine. In the beginning they walked with me, but now they do it mostly by themselves. By next week, they'll all be inside awaiting a treat before I even get 1/2 way. The Spitzhaubens were the 1st to catch on & help lead the others.[/COLOR] Here are a few pics of the female with the good crest. Her tail is normally up. She was acting shy in this pic. PS- On a personal note, I'm keeping myself busy because I lost my fav hen a few days ago. Unlike the chicks, she was trained to do real tricks. She assisted in teaching classes, did a few "magic" tricks with me, and was a great companion. (More of a pet than a chicken) She was often in the local papers and was truly loved by many. Cuddles even got "thank you" cards from students. RIP my sweet Cuddles.
Love the video! That's fantastic. And your spitz girls are really developing nicely!! I'm sorry to read about Cuddles. There are always a couple real special ones who weasel their way into our hearts. She was very lucky to have such a devoted & interactive human. Hugs to u & ur family.

Great Video !

I hope one of the new ones will be just as talented as Cuddles for you - yes, we all let one special one creep into our hearts :)

@PhoredaBurds I didnt get the best photos, will maybe try again tomorrow.

It was pretty cold and they had already gone to bed when I started taking photos. As a result they are all floofy, a bit hunched over, and have humongously full crops. :D

I really like this one, I think a girl. She has an awesome personality, and is one of the few that will hop up on the perch and sleep between the much older birds. Those black ones are crosses between my black Ameraucana and a Dominique.

In the next two photos, the birds without crests are bantam wheaten ameraucanas.

The one on the right is another favorite. I love the little crest.

Another favorite. I think this is a perfect crest, I am thinking this one might be my chosen rooster.

Last edited:
Here's my 10 wk old male. I have another male with smaller wattles. Their crests are just starting to change to white. Several visitors wanted to take him home - until I tell them he's a male. No one wants roosters, so I hope I can find these guys a home.

We don't breed them. I just got some as hatching eggs for fun. We only want to keep one female.

@PhoredaBurds I didnt get the best photos, will maybe try again tomorrow.

It was pretty cold and they had already gone to bed when I started taking photos. As a result they are all floofy, a bit hunched over, and have humongously full crops.
big_smile.png

Another favorite. I think this is a perfect crest, I am thinking this one might be my chosen rooster.
This one has a cute face.

Thanks. :love

When they were still in the house at 3 weeks of age, the cream one in my first photo would on occasion fly out of his brooder and into the broody box with the newly hatched. She would just look around, try their food and water, and fly back into her own brooder. She never pecked them.

Just picked this spitz up. Please tell me she is looking like a girl. They said she was about 9 weeks old. I don't see any pointy tail feathers. Benny needs his Joon.

Back
Top Bottom