Spitzhaubens

Pics
The Spitzen-egger is due to hatch on the 18th. Markie hatched on May 3rd, so 5 weeks. I am the worst at being able to tell by looks with this breed until it is pretty obvious.

Oh sorry to get your hopes up. At 5 weeks I doubt I could tell by a photo. I thought Markie was hatched in mid April like mine & still not showing any male traits.

Your Markie looks about the size of my 8 week old female (but with a better tail & crest).
IMG_1153 - Copy.jpg

At 6 weeks my males had tiny wattles that looked red. They also had some pink/red where the comb would grow - especially when hot.
c2.jpg a2.jpg c1.jpg

And my female had none.
b2.jpg b1.jpg

*The pics were from my early March hatch, but I kept detailed photos in hopes of using them to sex future birds.

I can still hope. I see what look like tiny wattles, but it is so hard by this age. I was told by someone that you could tell by the shape of the nostril, but I don't understand that. They look about the same to me, male or female. She was selling sexed chicks that were about 2 weeks old.

Mystery. These are not mine, but the parents are gorgeous Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. This is the first hatch from birds this lady has had for 4 months prior. They are separated from all other chickens/birds so they are definitely from the two Silver Spangled. Two weeks old. What are your thoughts?
appenwho.jpg

Mystery. These are not mine, but the parents are gorgeous Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. This is the first hatch from birds this lady has had for 4 months prior. They are separated from all other chickens/birds so they are definitely from the two Silver Spangled. Two weeks old. What are your thoughts? View attachment 1041354
The silver rooster could be split gold spangled. Then he could throw gold pullets like this. Otherwise there's a sneaky chicken involved, lol.

Do you think it could be a gold pullet? It doesn't even look like an Appenzeller to me at all. No crest and the feather pattern doesn't look right to me either. I don't know genetics. Can you explain split gold spangled? Thanks!

I try not to get attached to roosters. In fact, I keep telling myself that this boy is only a visitor, but.....

He's just so pretty!!!!!

I enjoy watching him walk across the yard & often find my daughter holding him instead of the spitz pullet. About 14.5 weeks old & thankfully no crowing. I'm hoping it's because of my big orp roos are present. If they prevent him from crowing, then I can keep him longer. (Last year my male spitzes started crowing at 9 weeks.)
IMG_1456.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

I hatched some "Spitz-ingtons" ( or "Orp-haubens") for fun last year. Dad was a lav orp & mom was a silver spitz. These were the results.

Both had a hint of brown fluff - but a lav orp was the only roo at that time. That should show up as black chicks.
IMG_4791.jpg

They were sold just after I took these pics. It looks like they were going to get small crests. They were much smaller than their full orp siblings.
1 - Copy.jpg
2 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom