Spitzhaubens

Pics
I can't recall - is mom or dad the Spitz? And what color is the EE parent?

I just candled my Spitz-eggers yesterday and 3 out of 5 show development. Then I accidentally dented one (I dropped a guinea egg on it) but luckily it was one of the ones not showing development. Opened it up and it looked like the yolk was damaged somehow and I was relieved that that was the one that I cracked! I have them in the incubator and both incubators' turners have messed up on me at the same time so I hope I don't have any problems from not being able to turn them enough. My EE just went broody a few days ago so it looks like she will actually get to raise some of her own babies :) I was going to give them to my Japanese broody but she will have to have a couple guineas instead.

The Dad is Hans and the mom is a cute blue/rust blue-girl-6617.JPG EE. I will have to get a better picture of Stucki. He/She has the adorable puffy cheeks that I like.

Sometimes you get lucky on the eggs you break. I was getting close to lock-down and I accidentally set the lid egg turner "spindle" (for the lack of a better word on my cheap Chinese incubator) in the wrong place and it tore apart an egg as it went around. Luckily it had zero development, no blood veins, nothing. I was so relieved. I don't candle all of them anymore though.

The Dad is Hans and the mom is a cute blue/rustView attachment 1048411 EE. I will have to get a better picture of Stucki. He/She has the adorable puffy cheeks that I like.

Sometimes you get lucky on the eggs you break. I was getting close to lock-down and I accidentally set the lid egg turner "spindle" (for the lack of a better word on my cheap Chinese incubator) in the wrong place and it tore apart an egg as it went around. Luckily it had zero development, no blood veins, nothing. I was so relieved. I don't candle all of them anymore though.

I am very lazy about candling now, too. When I first started hatching last year it was hard to resist candling every day lol. Last week I decided to candle a few eggs on a whim because I couldn't remember how far along some are and noticed a guinea looked very close to hatching. I moved it to the hatcher and it hatched that night. Close call. Usually I write the hatch date on the eggs if i do some staggered incubating but forgot somehow. Everything that is left *should* be due next Wednesday, though my guineas do tend to hatch a couple days early.

ETA that EE is gorgous! The mother of these eggs is that typical brown partridge looking type, so I don't expect the chicks to be all that pretty but you never know since the EE genetics are a bit of a surprise.

I now know I have 2 gold Roos. I wanted 1 but we all know how that goes lol hopefully my last one is a hen. I also have 4 silvers but I haven't heard any of them crow yet.

View attachment 1049096 One of the Roos.

I can take some more tomorrow. I have a video of my roo trying to crow but I can't figure out how to download it

In the old site, the only platform I knew was Youtube. I downloaded a video to Youtube & then put a link here. (A lot of work unless you already have videos on Youtube.) I think they allow Facebook & other links now.

Back
Top Bottom