Spitzhaubens

Pics
So our Spitzes are calm and happy now without the extra boy. They've blended in better with the 7 older hens as a result. Our 5 X 9 coop has roosts on 3 sides. No one was using the east roost ever, and the Spitzes discovered it and took it over, rather than roost on the baby roost under the poop shelf. But last night, our little Sebright hen, tiny little pistil that she is, decided she wanted that entire 5' east roost and rousted them all off! Not only that, but they weren't allowed around the corner on the roost perpendicular to it, a long stretch of it sitting unused. The Spitzes were back on the baby roost, and one just roosting on the floor this morning, since they are too big for that roost. I am so mad at the Sebright. She's so pleased with herself, the little boss hen.
:lau
She sounds exactly like my Sebright - appropriately named "Trouble."

We have 3 roosts inside the inner coop & a very long one inside the covered run (which the chickens also use as a coop). There's more than enough space for all, but many roosts go unused. The better place to sleep is not on the roosts but on the shelves! Each night I find 4-5 hens crammed together on one shelf & Trouble all by herself on the other. LOL

well, i’m pretty sure i just saw my suspicious spitz try to crow. :hit

i’m going to look into local poultry swaps, otherwise he’ll be put up on the local farm swap FB page.

well, i’m pretty sure i just saw my suspicious spitz try to crow. :hit

i’m going to look into local poultry swaps, otherwise he’ll be put up on the local farm swap FB page.
aww, yeah he has that look that my boys have...

Spitz hatch.

These will be gold with black spots.

20180511_104649.jpg
20180511_104715.jpg

These will be a light gold, more cream, with white spots.

20180511_105001.jpg
20180511_105038.jpg

Wind blown, lol! It must be gusting to 40mph today...
windblown (3 of 1).jpg

Here he was on a calmer day both of Flugel.
5-11 Flugel b (3 of 1).jpg

This is Fritz. He's the calmer of the 2. Flugel is getting rambunctious.
Fritz 5-11 (3 of 1).jpg

The two boys are becoming a handful. 2 handfuls. Flugel is now chasing Fritz who quickly gets out of his way. Flugel chases the 2 Spitz pullets sometimes. Fritz chases one of the bantam hens. I don't know if this is going to work out. The next poultry swap is in June.
~~~
Anyway, this evening, I let the 2 boys free range for the first time. I often let the hens go out an hour before bed. The boys were being so rambunctious I let them out too. They were so funny, it was their first free ranging. It reminded me of the Coneheads movie where they discover Earth for the first time, trying everything out.

This is Fritz. He's the calmer of the 2. Flugel is getting rambunctious.
View attachment 1384052
The two boys are becoming a handful. 2 handfuls. Flugel is now chasing Fritz who quickly gets out of his way. Flugel chases the 2 Spitz pullets sometimes. Fritz chases one of the bantam hens. I don't know if this is going to work out. The next poultry swap is in June.
~~~
Anyway, this evening, I let the 2 boys free range for the first time. I often let the hens go out an hour before bed. The boys were being so rambunctious I let them out too. They were so funny, it was their first free ranging. It reminded me of the Coneheads movie where they discover Earth for the first time, trying everything out.
his spots are better, but his crest is too large.

Hum.

How do their legs, width, and stance compare? I can't tell from the photos.

But it sounds like you will need to keep only one, and get rid of the other.

my seven year old son found our spitz roo a home. apparently he was chatting with his bus driver about the chickens, and she told me she had a friend who was looking for a rooster. i got in contact with that friend, sent her a photo, and she’s in love! i’m dropping him off at her house tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom