Spitzhaubens

Pics
I got myself some Appenzeller Spitzhauben chicks for Mother's Day!:wee

I had one once a few years ago, but it turned out to be a male, so I sold him. I've wanted more ever since, but they aren't usually available around here. On Saturday, someone told me the Rural King that is about an hour away from me had them, so I called and reserved 4, and made the trip down there on Sunday to get them. (Along with a bunch more chicks. They had some great choices!)

Here are Hanni, Heidi, Helge and Sven. (Straight run, so I assume I'll get at least one boy. Will have to do some name changing if I get more than one.):

View attachment 1393747 View attachment 1393748 View attachment 1393750 View attachment 1393751 View attachment 1393753 View attachment 1393754 View attachment 1393755 View attachment 1393756
Congrats on the new spitzes!

47895CD5-D387-4187-B88F-91BEA1511C22.jpeg
19726F1B-A3EB-4272-ABDD-300E0D664408.jpeg
at 11 weeks and counting, i think i can safely assume my remaining spitz is a pullet and give her a name. she is just as much of a space cadet at her hairdo would have you believe!

this group of chickens is named after dinosaurs, as my son is currently obsessed (my first group was named after country western singers, at my husband’s request). so, this girl will be xi qi (pronounced ee-chee) after a late stage feathered dino. maybe i’ll get to pick the “theme”for my next flock!

this group of chickens is named after dinosaurs, as my son is currently obsessed (my first group was named after country western singers, at my husband’s request). so, this girl will be xi qi (pronounced ee-chee) after a late stage feathered dino. maybe i’ll get to pick the “theme”for my next flock!

I think the dino theme is a great idea.

We had a Star Wars theme for a while....
Princess Lay-a (white hen)
Darth Layer (black orp hen)
Bantam Menace (our bantam orpington's nickname)
Hen Solo (our only Bielefelder)
Chew-BAWK-a (our loudest orp)
yolka

eeeeeeeeeeeh

:oops: not sure about the reddish cheeks and those curved feathers coming in at the tail base. :oops:

haha, no need to hide under chairs when you say it! :D it’s true, the face is on the red side, but she’s developmentally so much different than my other spitz, who was a confirmed cockerel, i find it difficult to believe that they’d both be the same sex.

every bird i have has curved tail feathers, even the ones who lay me an egg every day! must be something in the water...

haha, no need to hide under chairs when you say it! :D it’s true, the face is on the red side, but she’s developmentally so much different than my other spitz, who was a confirmed cockerel, i find it difficult to believe that they’d both be the same sex.

every bird i have has curved tail feathers, even the ones who lay me an egg every day! must be something in the water...
good, I was concerned about those tail feathers too......I have a S Sussex hen who had long curvy tail feathers when young and I really wondered about her. Now they are short and stiff and she's my best layer.

Back
Top Bottom