Spitzhaubens

@Faraday40 ----I could dye some pink for my fairy....
:thumbsup
I think they'd look great on her wings!

....See molting isn't all bad! And if you choose to do nothing, the wild critters will take away most of your feathers for you. Surprisingly my kids found spitz feathers several blocks away in rabbit & bird nests.

C95D0264-74D7-4A2E-BE34-1A5BD88F9BEF.jpeg
5056F4D5-AFEC-4575-87DC-C227C8677C12.jpeg
48B23D47-6081-4B26-9E1D-E632EAB40A3E.jpeg
9269980D-449A-4DFC-8680-45798BB38AD3.jpeg
Hello! So I was told I was buying a polish chick but I posted a photo and someone replied they think it’s actually an appenzeller spitz and after looking at photos I agree! Kind of a cool surprise I think! This is Rapunzel and she’s 4-5 weeks old any ideas on sex? She’s extremely skittish and is definitely the hardest chick for me to catch but is ok when I’m holding her/him. I don’t see any red yet but she’s dominant in the pecking order. Really hoping for pullet since I live in town and can’t keep a rooster.

View attachment 1706177 View attachment 1706176 View attachment 1706175 View attachment 1706174 Hello! So I was told I was buying a polish chick but I posted a photo and someone replied they think it’s actually an appenzeller spitz and after looking at photos I agree! Kind of a cool surprise I think! This is Rapunzel and she’s 4-5 weeks old any ideas on sex? She’s extremely skittish and is definitely the hardest chick for me to catch but is ok when I’m holding her/him. I don’t see any red yet but she’s dominant in the pecking order. Really hoping for pullet since I live in town and can’t keep a rooster.
Cute! Not quite old enuf to tell the sex....my boys got little red wattles by 6 or 7 weeks...
Mine are now 1 year old, a rooster and 2 hens. These hens are such good layers! They rival the leghorns.
3 spitz.jpg
Keep us updated w photos! Fingers crossed for a pullet...

View attachment 1706177 View attachment 1706176 View attachment 1706175 View attachment 1706174 Hello! So I was told I was buying a polish chick but I posted a photo and someone replied they think it’s actually an appenzeller spitz and after looking at photos I agree! Kind of a cool surprise I think! This is Rapunzel and she’s 4-5 weeks old any ideas on sex? She’s extremely skittish and is definitely the hardest chick for me to catch but is ok when I’m holding her/him. I don’t see any red yet but she’s dominant in the pecking order. Really hoping for pullet since I live in town and can’t keep a rooster.
Congrats you have a Spitzhauben! You really can't guess spitz gender until 7-10 weeks. You'll see a tiny red wattles start to drop if it's male. if the chick stays like it looks now, you'll have a female.

I think you're going to like the breed. Spitzes can fly and may be fast, but they really calm down over time. Our son claimed my "Spitzie" as HIS & renamed her "PoofPoof." I like her unique look and she's always coming up to us to see what we're doing. Spitzhaubens have less restricted vision than Polish, so I think you'll be very pleased. Our lays very well spring thru fall but takes the winter off.

Here's DS with PoofPoof. She usually hops up onto his leg, nearby branch, chair arm, etc to make sure she's noticed.
Simon & PoofPoof2.jpg IMG_3943.JPG IMG_1704 - Copy.jpg

Cute! Not quite old enuf to tell the sex....my boys got little red wattles by 6 or 7 weeks...
Mine are now 1 year old, a rooster and 2 hens. These hens are such good layers! They rival the leghorns.
View attachment 1706205
Keep us updated w photos! Fingers crossed for a pullet...
So pretty! I’m excited I love that they can see better than polish too. Thanks I’ll keep you updated on here in a few weeks!

Congrats you have a Spitzhauben! You really can't guess spitz gender until 7-10 weeks. You'll see a tiny red wattles start to drop if it's male. if the chick stays like it looks now, you'll have a female.

I think you're going to like the breed. Spitzes can fly and may be fast, but they really calm down over time. Our son claimed my "Spitzie" as HIS & renamed her "PoofPoof." I like her unique look and she's always coming up to us to see what we're doing. Spitzhaubens have less restricted vision than Polish, so I think you'll be very pleased. Our lays very well spring thru fall but takes the winter off.

Here's DS with PoofPoof. She usually hops up onto his leg, nearby branch, chair arm, etc to make sure she's noticed.
View attachment 1706316 View attachment 1706324 View attachment 1706325
Yay! I’m happy to hear you think she’s female! Fingers crossed it stays that way! They are so cute! I’ll keep you updated in a few weeks thanks!

Yay! I’m happy to hear you think she’s female! Fingers crossed it stays that way! They are so cute! I’ll keep you updated in a few weeks thanks!
Although it looks female, they all look female until they don't. LOL Keep watching for those little red wattles to develop & a touch of red in the face. If you still don't have any by 10 weeks, you'll have a female. Most of my spitz roos had nothing & then at 7-8 weeks "POP"; they turned male.

Although it looks female, they all look female until they don't. LOL Keep watching for those little red wattles to develop & a touch of red in the face. If you still don't have any by 10 weeks, you'll have a female. Most of my spitz roos had nothing & then at 7-8 weeks "POP"; they turned male.
Good to know! My polish and seabright chicks were sparing at 4 weeks last year I tried to ignore it but sure enough around 6-8 weeks the crowing started and I had to redone them both lol that’s why I got 10 chicks this year instead of 4!

This was Feisty my seabright cockerel, I miss him he was my favorite!
82EB016D-AA99-424E-9DFA-3EFF2BA8EB61.jpeg
8110BDB7-9363-4B9B-92CA-800B93DF28B2.jpeg

And this is Fancy my polish cockerel. He was nuts!

Back
Top Bottom