Spitzhaubens

Here’s one spoiled Spitzie!
16205D6B-65D6-4C11-AABE-17B9775D2A18.jpeg

I love it!
I have a Serama question for you—do yours have to live indoors in winter?
I have a cheap coop in garage for winter. Many people think seramas can’t tolerate below 50’F but if you can keep seramas out of the wind and wet weather, they’re fine. I have a panel heater in there when temps go below 35’F. The only time I’ve had to bring them inside was when we go below zero.

Yet the kids do enjoy having house pets. It’s common for our spoiled silkied serama rooster to spend his winters indoors.

My two girls always want to be on my shoulders! I walk in the pen and the b-line for me and fly up.

Also had one inside for a while due to injury. Had her following some simple commands to move to different pieces of furniture. Was a fun experience. 😊

My two girls always want to be on my shoulders! I walk in the pen and the b-line for me and fly up.

Also had one inside for a while due to injury. Had her following some simple commands to move to different pieces of furniture. Was a fun experience. 😊
DS brings his chicken inside to play. He trained her to do a few tricks. She learned to follow / chase a laser pointer. He makes obstacle courses for her to run through. She weaves around table legs, zips up then down the stairs, through a home-made hoop and jumps onto the sofa. She’s so fast and completely focused. I only wish our dog was as obedient.

Question- so we started off with three Spitzhaubens and are unfortunately down to one- she is currently living in the country with my niece and her 20 other hens of various breeds. Well my Spitz is now alone as her sister got nabbed last week. She is having trouble finding her place in the flock unfortunately and taking on some bullying. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have contemplated asking if she can come back home but fear she would be in the same boat- she remembers me and runs to me when I go out to visit - Such a sweet gentle girl-

Question- so we started off with three Spitzhaubens and are unfortunately down to one- she is currently living in the country with my niece and her 20 other hens of various breeds. Well my Spitz is now alone as her sister got nabbed last week. She is having trouble finding her place in the flock unfortunately and taking on some bullying. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have contemplated asking if she can come back home but fear she would be in the same boat- she remembers me and runs to me when I go out to visit - Such a sweet gentle girl-
So sorry you lost the other Spitzies.

Moving to a new place is stressful so I always try to introduce in pairs or more. Last year I sold a hen and pullet to someone. In my backyard, the hen wouldn’t have wasted her time with the pullet. Not friends nor enemies. But once moved, the two became BFFs in the new flock.

Likewise we took a few birds to a show a 2 years ago. Because I had them in quarantine together before and after, they became buddies during that period.

I’m not sure if you can force a chicken friendship but it seemed to work for me. (Mine were not bullied - just not close prior to being caged together. ). Perhaps a more docile bird from the flock can be housed one to one with the Spitzhauben. Once they bond a bit, reintroduce both into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom