Splash Marans over....... ??????

J-Habs

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
What will I get breeding my Splash Marans rooster over a Silver Leghorn and my Welbar? I'm pretty sure the Welbar chicks will be sexed at birth due to the barring, but I don't think Welbars have black or blue in their color. So how will that react with a Splash Marans? Also curious about breeding him with the Silver Leghorn because I read that all colors of Leghorns breed the same. I'm not sure if that's true.

What will I get breeding my Splash Marans rooster over a Silver Leghorn and my Welbar? I'm pretty sure the Welbar chicks will be sexed at birth due to the barring, but I don't think Welbars have black or blue in their color. So how will that react with a Splash Marans? Also curious about breeding him with the Silver Leghorn because I read that all colors of Leghorns breed the same. I'm not sure if that's true.
What do you mean 'all colors of leghorn breed the same?'

What will I get breeding my Splash Marans rooster over a Silver Leghorn and my Welbar? I'm pretty sure the Welbar chicks will be sexed at birth due to the barring, but I don't think Welbars have black or blue in their color. So how will that react with a Splash Marans?
Because the rooster is splash, all chicks will inherit the blue gene from him. That will turn all black into blue, but will not change what other colors appear where.

If the Splash Marans is that color all over, with no pattern of gold or red or silver or other colors, then I would expect the chicks to be blue all over. They inherit the genes to be black all over, which is dominant over most other color patterns in chickens, and then all that black is turned into blue by the blue gene.

Yes, the Welbar hen will produce barred sons and not barred daughters, when bred to that rooster. So the sons will be blue with white barring, and the daughters will be blue with no white barring.

All chicks, from all mothers, have a chance of showing some leakage as they grow up: gold or red or white that "leaks" through in some areas of the feathers.

Also curious about breeding him with the Silver Leghorn because I read that all colors of Leghorns breed the same. I'm not sure if that's true.

If you are talking about feather colors, no all colors of Leghorns do not breed the same as each other. But Leghorns of a given color do breed the same as other chickens that have the same color genes.

So a Silver Leghorn will produce the same colors of chicks as a Silver Dorking or a Silver Duckwing Old English Game or any other chicken that has the same genes for color & pattern. The Silver Leghorn will not produce the same colors of chicks that a Brown Leghorn or a White Leghorn would produce.

What do you mean 'all colors of leghorn breed the same?'
I read somewhere that if you breed a particular rooster to a white leghorn, or a silver leghorn, that the offspring will come out the same. Seems fishy to me, but that's why I'm asking around.

I read somewhere that if you breed a particular rooster to a white leghorn, or a silver leghorn, that the offspring will come out the same. Seems fishy to me, but that's why I'm asking around.
No, the only reason for that would be if the white was recessive white, which at that point, any bird with recessive white would do that

If you used a White Leghorn rooster with those two hens, you should get white from both hens. But that's because of the genes the rooster is providing, not anything special about the hens.

For most other colors of rooster, the White Leghorn hen will produce white chicks, but the Silver Leghorn rooster will produce chicks of other colors.

20240118_153956.jpg

He does have a hint of gold and even a very small red spot you can't see in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom