Spots on egg yolks

Feb 19, 2018
Hi. We have free range chickens and haven’t had any problems with them until last week.

I have googled and searched but have had no luck with my question.
I cracked two eggs the other day and the yolks in both eggs had lots of white spots on it. Please help. Not sure if it is a problem or not.

Attachments

• 64F27C2E-38F1-4379-BCA8-4123E6204B34.jpeg
    64F27C2E-38F1-4379-BCA8-4123E6204B34.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 292
:welcome

A couple of questions to maybe add information that will help us diagnose your problem:

- Do you remember if the egg yolks looked different before they were fried, or did they look normal when raw and the spots only appeared as they cooked through?

- Have you treated your hens for anything recently (worming / antibiotics / anticoccidiosis treatments etc.) or have they had any changes to their feed / free-ranging areas they access? (Or any other major changes to bedding / coop / routine... anything at all.)

Also, do you know if these eggs were from the same or different hens? (I appreciate that with a free-range flock it is not always easy to identify who lays which egg, but sometimes shell colour, egg shape or timing can give clues!)

I don't have any amazing insights into the cause - I have never encountered this in any of my girls' eggs - but maybe it will help others to give you some clues as to what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom