Spring or Fall? Pros and cons fro raising babies.

I have hatched chicks out at diff. times of the year. the advantage to hatching in the fall, is they will grow in the winter, ( most hens take a break in winter) and have more months to lay before next winter.

My very first batch of chicks were hatched aroudn Oct. 21. They went' outside in their coop right before Xmas but I live close to Houston Texas so we weren't down to really cold temp's yet. (Those come in Jan/Feb usually). It was ranging around 40's some nights but they were fine in the enclosed coop. They'd come out during the day.

Haven't had any start laying yet but they probably will before the end of March. Theoretically I should get eggs until NEXT Nov/Dec or even later depending on Texas weather.

I just got some baby chicks from TSC a week ago. It will probably be the end of summer before they start laying. Perhaps a bit sooner because of the warm summer weather but I sure won't be getting 8 months of laying out of them!

If I lived in a colder climate where I HAD to protect the chickens from freezing winter temps, no way I'd get chickens in the fall. That's just me though. The less hassle the better. LOL!

I live in the cold,
tongue.gif
I put heat lamps on babies.

Back
Top Bottom