squab

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
I have about 500# of broiler feed left over from my last crop of chickens, so was thinking of things to do with it. I really enjoy pigeon and squab at the dinner table. But, I'm coming up empty-handed trying to google hatcheries who sell day olds.

Anyone have some links?

I have some white U Kings(meat type). Yes they feed the young(squab) then you butcher then not long after they leave the nest.

PM me can sell you some breeders, but shipping to you will not be cheap.

the pure whites are kings,the colored birds are giant homers(you can eat them also). These are a little larger than normal pigeon and produce lots of young. The U Kings are the meat producer in pigeons.

pigeon022.jpg

I have the Palmetto White Carneau/U. King crosses. These produce 12 to 14 squabs per pair a year...pairs are $16.00 several hundred of these available..Also 1 barn of around 300 five year old breeders..Still a couple of years breeding on these, they just dont produce as well as the younger ones.. $5.00 each if several are taken........
100_0610.jpg

I just love to eat pigeon; but I already do have a standing flock of breeding chickens, geese and ducks. Do I have it in me to build a dovecot before winter?

I really whant to know what to expect in the real world of squab production as searching the internet for this information is nonexistant, or over 50 years old or varies wildly. I have been told that pigeons require wheat, corn, safflower or sunflower and peas. Is there any type of feed or pellet that would make it more easier and/or more economical to feed instead of a mix of grains in a one container or many feed conainers for each grain to eliminate waste and provide a balanced diet? How many pounds of each type of feed will a squab producing pair eat in a year's time if they are to produce 12-14 squab a year? What are the real world squab weights produced at 30 days of age ( live and dressed) for the several squab breeds? What are the average mature weights of the producing birds of the different squab breeds?

Please... can anyone answer my questions on what to expect in the real world of feed consumtion and weights for squab production?

Yes, you can feed a pellet, look for pigeon,layer, or even pig pellets. need 16% or higher.

Sorry can tell you how much feed,as i have other birds also.

Back
Top Bottom