Square Foot Gardening Thread

The plants are just now sending out some new growth but they have been looking terrible. Brown spots everywhere and then the leaf is dropped. I don't use chemicals on my garden, any other suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

My peppers were looking like this also earlier this year. I found something at Farm&Fleet called "NuStraw" which is straw that is for gardens - it's cut into about 2" or less pieces and I've not yet seen one seedhead or stalk! I've had terrible problems with straw mulch in our gardens in the past - think wheatfield instead of green beans - but thought I'd give this a try. Thus far, I'm very impressed. I put about a 2" layer down around all the peppers and the yellowing of the leaves disappeared. It's seemed to help the peppers in retaining both heat and moisture, which they need, so I expanded the "NuStraw" into the tomatoes too. As it's finally warm enough for both these crops here, they're taking off - whether from the mulch layer or the heat, I'm not sure!

krcote, does putting the squash in the buckets keep the squash bugs (either the stinky ones or the boring ones) from attacking your squash? And does it increase your problems w/ powder mildew?

Life is Good!- Thanks for the tip!

Kassaundra- When I grew my squash last year in the buckets I did not have a single squash bug of either variety but did lose them all to powdery mildew. So maybe the buckets were the culprit? I'm not sure because I sure have had problems with the mildew in the past, without buckets. No time for buckets this year so we shall see!

Well my friends, looks like my pepper plants are staging a comeback. No credit to me however! I have had zero time to do a thing to them besides shake my head at them with shame and pick off any flower buds I saw forming. I figured the plant should focus it's energy elsewhere before making fruit! Now there is new leaf growth all up and down the main stems, something I have never seen a pepper plant do. Photos to follow!

Well my friends, looks like my pepper plants are staging a comeback. No credit to me however! I have had zero time to do a thing to them besides shake my head at them with shame and pick off any flower buds I saw forming. I figured the plant should focus it's energy elsewhere before making fruit! Now there is new leaf growth all up and down the main stems, something I have never seen a pepper plant do. Photos to follow!

Keep us up updated. I am interested in anything that will yield more peppers than I currently get. Mine are so scraggly all the time. Can't wait to see the pics.

~ Jocelyn

You're right - that is an odd thing for a pepper to do!
Any idea what variety you've got? (Knowing full well that I couldn't find a plant stake in the peppers or nearly anywhere in the garden by now...they've either been pulled out by children, blow away by wind, or I stepped on 'em and they're smashed into the ground to be found next spring! LOL)

My 16 month old child seems to relocate the identifying stakes as well... I know there is a hot variety, green and purple/black. The hot ones were the most affected.

Making my first foray into gardening. Using 3-level 4 ft x. 4 ft beds (3 of them). Started primarily with some tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. In my first bed, I planted marigolds around the edges which gave the roots some shade. Wish I had done that for the other two. What other edible flowers make good companionable plantings?

Back
Top Bottom