Staple size for hardware cloth??

winniegirl

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

Quick question as we're fencing in the run soon.

Are 9/16 inch staples good enough for the hardware cloth and chicken wire? or bigger? Can racoons pull them out?

I see those neat looking big washers on the Coop Page, not sure what those are.

many thanks, Dawn

Racoons can pull them out , I think screws , with big washers , are better to prevent the hardware cloth from being pulled away from the framing of your run.

On my run, I'm planning on using crown staples driven by a pneumatic gun, probably about an inch or so long. I can't speak from experience, but I figure that should be adequate. I don't think regular staples would be strong enough.

If you use enough staples, 9/16 will be more than adequate. A raccoon might be able to pull out one or two staples, but he isnt going to pull out one staple every 3"....if he does, then you have much bigger problems on your hands than staple size. Thats assuming you are stapling to something solid...like a treated post.

Thanks everyone!! We do have treated posts in the corners and the middle. We just didn't want to buy yet another tool--I think we'll try the 9/16 staples. A lot of them!! At some point DH wants to add washers

thanks again,
Dawn

Make your you check those staples every 6 months or more depending on weather. They WILL rust eventually, and of course be useless, so you want to restaple if necessary. Obviously, longer staples, stainless staples, or anything like that would be 'better', but if you have this tool, then i would use it. Im like you, i had to do my coop with what i had for the most part. If you are concerned about it being pulled out, you could get fencing staples, but they are generally driven by hammer. They are large, designed for barbed wire and such, but you wouldn't be pulling them out...ever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom