Started my first sourdough starter today

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I have been baking our own bread for a while now. I have found that I can bake a loaf of bread for about the same as it costs to buy, or less, but without the garbage they put into a lot of bread today. Especially white bread. I have been intrigued by sourdough bread. I learned that in the days before commercial yeast everyone baked sourdough. Every household had a bread starter that was always going. The name 'sourdough' is given because it has more flavor and a lovely tang that regular bread, even home baked, doesn't have. If you do it the traditional way there is no yeast added, you are simply using the naturally occuring 'wild' yeast that is found all around.
I have seen some recipes that involve the use of grapes (that whitish haze on grape skins is yeast), citrus rinds, potatoes etc. But purists frown on that because you are importing the yeast from that source and they say that the yeasts in your area will have to "fight" the introduced yeasts. I decided, for my first try, to go the purist route.
Most people name their starters, probably because they become like a part of the family, they are around so long. There are many stories of bread starters being handed down from generation to generation to generation. King Arthur flour sells a sourdough starter that is said to have started in the 1700's. I am very excited to see how this turns out.
I will post updates in the days to come for anyone interested.

Do you use store bought white flour or do you mill the wheat? There are some good threads about bread on www.SuffucientSelf.com sister site to BYC. (link at bottom of page) Look under the Self Sufficient Kitchen-From Recipes to Processors To Gadgets.

Sourdough is so good! I used to make a sourdough french bread that was to die for! I have just gotten back to baking bread. I bought a Family Grain Mill and bought wheat from a LDS food center. Fresh milled whole wheat makes a might fine loaf of bread. I have wanted to make sourdough again, but just haven't jumped in yet. Kudos to you for making the decision to make real sourdough bread!
thumbsup.gif

I use store bought for now. Either King Arthur or Hodgson Mill. I would love to mill my own grains and eventually I hope to. I just started baking my bread regularly a few months ago. My wife and boys love it and I enjoy baking it (and eating it, of course). Maybe I will ask for a mill for Christmas!

I am just wondering how the sourdough starter is working for you?
Did it take off like you were hoping?
I am nervous about starting from wild yeast like that - as I have a problem with keeping my starters from going bad.

I tried to make my own sourdough made the starter with just water/flour it came out wonderful smelled all sourey but the end product my bread was a brick, doorstop, weapon, anything but really edible. The last one came out the best but still a weapon. Let me know how it comes out for you I really wanted to make my own but am now buying it at the 99c store they have one named St Louis sourdough that is really good but would like to make my own.

I have made sourdough a few times in our borrowed farm house...turns out we have too much "wild" yeast in the air and so my starter/dough and bread will mold within two days

Back
Top Bottom