Starting A Business Plan

My parents are making me start a business plan as I am a minor and unlike a lot of minors my parents do not pay for anything.
BooHooSniffSniff.....c'mon, don't whine, that's not cool.
wink.png

I have estimated the money I should make off of eggs by the new birds by the end of 2017, not subtracting expenses, but I never have that much expense wise anyways.

Really?!
How much did it cost to build the coop(s) and run(s)...and who paid for it?
What about feeders and waterers?
How much do you spend on feed and bedding?
Write down every......single......thing and it's cost.
Learn to use a spreadsheet program to document your costs and sales.

Over the last 4 years I have kept track of all this stuff....egg sales cover feed and bedding,
and even (mostly) covered the cost of raising replacement layers to point of lay,
but the 'profits' will never cover the costs of building the coop and runs.

....someday, far in the future, you will be thankful to your parents for teaching you these things,
hopefully you will be able to tell them that.
Best of cLuck to you!

BooHooSniffSniff.....c'mon, don't whine, that's not cool. ;)

Really?!
How much did it cost to build the coop(s) and run(s)...and who paid for it?
What about feeders and waterers?
How much do you spend on feed and bedding?
Write down every......single......thing and it's cost.
Learn to use a spreadsheet program to document your costs and sales.

Over the last 4 years I have kept track of all this stuff....egg sales cover feed and bedding,
and even (mostly) covered the cost of raising replacement layers to point of lay,
but the 'profits' will never cover the costs of building the coop and runs.

....someday, far in the future, you will be thankful to your parents for teaching you these things,
hopefully you will be able to tell them that.
Best of cLuck to you!

I'm just saying last time i posted people got on my back for making my parents pay for stuff, and I got some pretty nasty private message.

Coop was already here it's an old grainery. I used 4H money from the previous year to build the run. We tore down the run 2 years later and now we use the panels and fence posts for the cattle so it's a win win for me ans my parents as we did a bunch of cross fencing this summer and we didn't have to buy as many posts. And the panels are for repairs in the corral.
Most feeders and waterers were free from my grandparents that were my great grandparents. This made them more room for feed in their grainery.
Everything else is from auctions where i got a whole tub for $10 a few years back.
Feed is practically free as some neighbor's didn't need the oats anymore and they said i can take some whenever I need as long as i drop some eggs off. And corn is picked up at the gas station for free so the owner doesn't have to clean bird poop off everything cause all the birds come flocking for the corn.
I do buy a few bags of layer feed and grit a month and they get layer feed every morning. And grit replaced once a week or whenever they eat it all.

The record keeping is honestly the hardest part for me right now. I can do it good and then maybe there's a big game or track meet coming up and I'm focused on that and forget. I'm trying to get better at it this year though though

As for flock replacement I'm thinking i will have 1 rooster of each breed of laying hens I want. Let them free range with the girls. And once the girls reach 50 weeks I will collect 20 eggs as that's as many as my bator can hold and hatch those so they're ready by time the older birds hit 72 weeks. I will also give some to mt Chantecler who's always broody. I am hoping i can get enough replacement birds to tske them to a sale or butcher them.
All extra rooster chicks will be butchered and if there's more then we want to butcher can be given to neighbor's

Last edited:
I applaud your response to my post,
for accepting my mild maternal scolding about whining,
and your parents for teaching you valuable lessons.

Free grain is great, but beware it may not be nutritionally sound.
Are you mixing any poultry premix in with those grains.... for the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids they need to be productive?
Could be very important for effective egg production and breeding.

Record keeping IS hard...and tediously boring and annoying chore at times, but worth the effort when you need the data to make a decision or solve a problem.
You'll figure it all out and do well overall I'm betting.

I applaud your response to my post,
for accepting my mild maternal scolding about whining,
and your parents for teaching you valuable lessons.

Free grain is great, but beware it may not be nutritionally sound.
Are you mixing any poultry premix in with those grains.... for the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids they need to be productive?
Could be very important for effective egg production and breeding.

Record keeping IS hard...and tediously boring and annoying chore at times, but worth the effort when you need the data to make a decision or solve a problem.
You'll figure it all out and do well overall I'm betting.

The grain I am getting is used for cattle so it should be nutritionally good. As for the corn i talked to lots of local farmers and they said it should be good just make sure it's not moldy etc.
I am not really sure what premix is but if it is layer feed then yes they get it every morning when I let them out. The layers also get lots of deer
1f602.png

The breeders get straight layer feeds and grains sometimes if they've finished it all.

My mom helped me set up excel sheets for income, expense and budget.
I also found some cochins relatively near me from the breeder my current ones are from for sale.
Also I may try to convince my parents to let me turn the tack and feed room into a coop. And move the tack into the side tack room in the barn. This would save me a lot of money if I could do this

Back
Top Bottom