Stepped on chicken foot

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm glad your hen is getting better--hopefully she continues to recover!

Feel free to ask any other questions you have. We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your bird. If it is broken, it will be very swollen. Pick the bird up and gently move the toes around. If she is in horrible pain when you only move them, they might be broken. If you can move them around and she seems fairly ok with no weight on the toes, then maybe they are just bruised. I would towel up the bird and inspect the toes this way. Compare them to the other good toes. Then you use an ice pack on her toes for 15 mins every few hours. Don't freeze the skin. So you might put the ice back in a thin towel or sock so the skin doesn't get frozen. The ice well help with pain and inflammation. You can also give her half of a baby asprin 2 times day. Break a baby asprin in half and put a half in a raisin. Feed this half in the morning and the other half in the evening. Baby asprin only. No adult asprins. I would use asprin for a week or two until you get it healed.

Keep her in a very tiny area so she does not get up much...food and water right there in her face. You will also want to post this in our emergency section for more input on this....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get her back on her feet soon.
hugs.gif
Ok same thing happened to me and it's swollen but she is ok when i moved tge toes i applied some painrelief to it's foot would that help too?

Ok same thing happened to me and it's swollen but she is ok when i moved tge toes i applied some painrelief to it's foot would that help too?

Topical anti inflammatories are fine to use. You might confine her for a couple days if she is limping badly. Otherwise she should heal well over time.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow Thankfully, our girls are pretty resilient. You got good advice and I'm hoping for the best:fl Again, welcome and thanks for joining our little flock, we're so glad you did...:ya

Back
Top Bottom