still waiting at 27 weeks!!!!!

Quote:
Most of their food intake is the mash, everything else is treats now and again!

Dont think they have lice/mites, I have never checked cause they look healthy enough, are there any tell tale signs of lice/mites??

checked their poo and cant seem to see any worms

Last edited:
can mites/lice hold up egg laying and if so could someone please tell me the tell tail signs

Quote:
I am glad I found this thread, I was worried about one of my pullets squatting for 4 days, I guess it's a waiting game.... good luck..

I wouldn't be too concerned for a few more weeks. My 2 of my 3 hens didn't lay until 28 weeks. My friends hens didn't lay until 31 weeks.

It's so hard to be patient, isn't it?! Only one of ours is laying at the moment (maybe a second, I'm not sure). We are only getting about 11 hrs of light a day and I put a light in their coop a week ago. So far no change, but hope springs eternal! Hope we both get some eggs soon.
smile.png

I think patience is key... yet so hard! My 26ish week old Barred Rock just started laying this week, still waiting for the RIR about the same age to lay as well. Hang in there and hopefully it will happen soon
big_smile.png

I read soemwhere on here to keep telling yourself that chickens are not vending machines! Thought that was funny. And insightful. My Buff Orpington just layed her first egg yesterday -- exactly 30 weeks from her hatch date! My Americauna that I was told also was hatched on 3/21 is still not laying. Although she is a "special needs" gal -- has a crooked beak -- so I am cutting her some slack. Just keep repeating the words "They are not vending machines" and pray for patience!
tongue.png

Quote:
In Alaska, the recommendation is 15 to 17 hours of light every day. It doesn't have to be bright though, so you can run a low wattage bulb to save energy if you want. I use one 25w bulb for about 30 square feet and the timer leaves it on for 17 hours a day. Another option to have more eggs during those short winter days is to just own more chickens...

Brian

With the day length shortenning now the chicks mature slower than a fall raised chick that will lay in spring and lengthening days. However ,that is a really good. The chicks are more mature at laying time and have had time for their bone structure to mature too. The hens will lay longer and be much healthier in the end. Yes, I am tired of waiting too but patience is the name of the game. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom