stolen hay

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
We hire a guy to bale our pasture and two of our neighbors' pastures. The pasture across the street always gets the most hay off it. There should have been 14 - 18 1300 pound round bales from it. There were only 9. The guy baling said that the pasture was just thin this year. That wasn't true. Last month he complained that the neighbor who owns the pasture should let him have the hay, instead of me. She said, "No, it's Jody's." Then the guy whined and said that he already had it sold. The neighbor still told him no, but she gave him the name of another person that would let him have the hay from his property. I pay this guy per acre to cut and rake it, and per bale to roll it up. Well, last night I came home expecting to see 14 - 18 big bales in that pasture, and there were only 9. I know he stole it and hauled it away while I and the neighbor were at work. I can't prove it, but he will regret it. He lives in this neighborhood, and I'm the crazy neighbor. Also, he will lose my business, and the business of other neighbors over this. His wife also owns a local business nearby that will lose our business too. I hope he enjoys that $300 dollars worth of hay, because it will cost him much more.

We bale a lot of hay for our cow herd and it can vary greatly from year to year how many bales we take off of a field. Not defending the guy, just saying it can vary a lot depending on the weather.

We get paid by the bale not by the acre. All our balers have counters on them and we verify the count with the owner. If they think the count is wrong we go by the client's count. Ain't gonna argue over a few bales of hay.

Two years ago we cut a nice Bermuda field for a client. Produced over 500 square bales that required 24 hour guard to keep people from stealing them. Thing is, if people have starving animals, we will give them hay until the animals are rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom