Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
My Culling Project is getting overrun (my own fault) with lots of non-chicken stuff, because I am also raising ducks, goats, and rabbits - so I'm going to try and move that stuff here (or at least, post it here in the future) and leave the culling project there. Oh, and also talking about efforts to improve the pasture - I have 5# of SorghumSudanGrass Hybrid, 5# of Teff, 5# of Dichondra Repens, and 10# of Chufa to put down this weekend, we are promised a few days of rain (finally!). and occasional comments on cooking.

So anyhow, that stuff is getting posted here.

Oh, and Peanut Buny kitted at least four this past week - I saw them moving this afternoon at lunch, but didn't have time to dig thru for a complete head count. Bunny packed the nest full of fur.

1682549255308391094395827222231.jpg

Gates. Merely the suggestion of a barrier

@U_Stormcrow, what long term goals do you have with your farm? Self sufficiency, selling meat/produce, other?
One day, I'd like all my meat to come from here, and more than a trivial amount of fruit/veggies. We have some blueberry bushes, a huge number of wild blackberry, several grape vines (two muscadine, one seedless not big enough to fruit, and one seedless that probably died in our freak late freeze), a dozen asparagus, a few raised beds with herbs, an olive tree, some other things we are trying. Lost basically all the citrus, possibly lost the peaches as well...

and once my culling project is at a point where I'm happy with the offspring, I plan to sell birds. I figured it would take 5 years to get something I'd be proud to sell - or at least provide a satisfactory product. This is year two of that plan.

321618361_513623244079120_3306854033048341664_n.jpg

This was BEFORE it got really cold. and stayed there.

Was not a good year for green growing things.
/Edit I think if I could get something established, it would have a chance - but these $10 root stock bundles from TSC don't have a chance to get comfortable on these grounds and put som mass on before they get absolutely thrashed by Ma Nature.

I'd have to look at the boxes for which cultivars, but they were all selected for low frost hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom