Strange bottom

sudolph

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 24, 2007
Texas
Hi Folks!

I'm stumped. I've been incubating eggs at school with the biology dept and had really good success with all that hatched on day 21. We have had just as many hatch, or try to hatch, today, day 22, but with much less success. I had to help one out of a dried shell, lost two totally in dried shells, and one hatched with what looks like a bloody, slightly yellow bulb about the size of a marble protruding from his bottom. He looks and acts fine, and this bulb is either drying up or absorbing into the bottom, but is definitely getting smaller. At about 12 hours old, the bulb is still there and the little guy is cuddled in with the other two in neo-natal care.

Is this the yolk sac that has not entirely absorbed? Is this going to go away, or am I eventually going to lose this little guy. Can he poop? Could this be a hernia?

Another question, can a chick ever hatch and survive if a helper cracks, not dislodges, but cracks the shell and it bleeds? I've got one guy who has his beak out and nothing more and is cheeping from time to time, but about 1 P.M. after I lost the one to dried shell, I just squeezed that sheel a little and it bled a drop on each side of the shell. The little guy is still peeing, but absolutely no progress. He's probably weakened, now, isn't he?

Another question, why have none of the Aruacana eggs hatched? They looked slightly underdeveloped but active on Friday at last candling, but no show today on day 22. Of course, it is hard to see them when candling.

Long winded, here. Thanks for reading.

sudolph

Araucana eggs are problematic at the best of times. If both parents where tufted then the odds of the eggs hatching are slim and none. Two copies of the tufted gene is lethal.

Thanks kstaven. Now on day 23, one of the three Aruacana eggs hatched with a great deal of my help and appears to be fine. I'll toss the other two tomorrow. I saw movement in one on day 22, but no show so far.

Actually, I think this is probably an Americuana. These eggs were given to me, so I really don't know, but it's black with a touch of yellow on head and wings.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom