Strange shaped eggs

Adrianep

Chirping
May 5, 2021
Blue Ridge Appalachia
Hi all- first post here - I’m worried about my cuckoo Maran - she has extended growths on her legs where the spurs are (about 1:4 inch long) and for the last few weeks her eggs have been shaped very oblong - and they are cracked for two lays now. The shell is sturdy otherwise. Once or twice I’ve found premature lays in the coop ( not certain they’ve been hers- since the shell had not developed yet.) I’m giving my whole flock 1/2 organic crumble (balanced) meal with a local non gmo grain mix which is called nutritionally balanced scratch from what they say- (16-18 % protein respectively ) with %15 fresh greens and vitamin supplements in one of two waterers for their 10 x 50 area which is kinda free range for six chickens, I suppose. Grubby Worms every few days, garden worms as found. She has access to a rose bush, and peony bush which I have not found to be appealing or eaten by them. Her comb is smaller than the other cuckoo and not quite as red and healthy as the others- but not grey, and she gets around ok as the birds go. Never fails to eat. Any ideas? Insight greatly appreciated- our local farm vet is allergic to chickens!!

Her spurs mean nothing. Some hens get small spurs.

Her paler comb could be sign of parasites.

Her oblong eggs likely mean little either. Some hens simply lay longer eggs than others.

Shell cracking could be her position while laying. Soft shells can happen at the begin of lay but if prolonged indicate lack of calcium.

The feed you quote could be deficient in calcium. Scratch is NOT a layer feed. Your protein levels sound okay, but I think your mineral content is likely low.

It is hard to beat good balanced layer feed. At the very least place oyster shells out too.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Attachments

• 3EEBC936-F616-4DA3-B894-6A4E0865DC12.jpeg
    3EEBC936-F616-4DA3-B894-6A4E0865DC12.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for your inquiry- I meant to post this picture too. I don’t have a picture of her feet. I will post one over the weekend when I’m back home. My husband has been caring for them and this new cracked egg phenomenon, of course happens when I am away.

Her spurs mean nothing. Some hens get small spurs.

Her paler comb could be sign of parasites.

Her oblong eggs likely mean little either. Some hens simply lay longer eggs than others.

Shell cracking could be her position while laying. Soft shells can happen at the begin of lay but if prolonged indicate lack of calcium.

The feed you quote could be deficient in calcium. Scratch is NOT a layer feed. Your protein levels sound okay, but I think your mineral content is likely low.

It is hard to beat good balanced layer feed. At the very least place oyster shells out too.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thanks for your response- I failed to mention that they do have a bowl of oyster shell mixed with teenie crushed egg shells at their disposal. I’ll take your heed to look at that grain mix more closely. 👍

Hi all- first post here - I’m worried about my cuckoo Maran - she has extended growths on her legs where the spurs are (about 1:4 inch long) and for the last few weeks her eggs have been shaped very oblong - and they are cracked for two lays now. The shell is sturdy otherwise. Once or twice I’ve found premature lays in the coop ( not certain they’ve been hers- since the shell had not developed yet.) I’m giving my whole flock 1/2 organic crumble (balanced) meal with a local non gmo grain mix which is called nutritionally balanced scratch from what they say- (16-18 % protein respectively ) with %15 fresh greens and vitamin supplements in one of two waterers for their 10 x 50 area which is kinda free range for six chickens, I suppose. Grubby Worms every few days, garden worms as found. She has access to a rose bush, and peony bush which I have not found to be appealing or eaten by them. Her comb is smaller than the other cuckoo and not quite as red and healthy as the others- but not grey, and she gets around ok as the birds go. Never fails to eat. Any ideas? Insight greatly appreciated- our local farm vet is allergic to chickens!!
So she acts normal and active and like a normal happy hen right? And just lays weird eggs?

Maybe? That’s what I’m checking- newbie here. I was thinking the oblong eggs or foot deformation may be symptomatic of something, but I’m relieved that it’s not an emergency issue after all.
I don’t think its an emergency issue, she probably has copper/vitamin deficiency or something. Try and supply her with vitamin rich foods like bananas and other stuff like that. Don’t worry, I’m also a newbie, got my first chickens in July. You learn a lot fast!

Back
Top Bottom