Straw or dirt for my fenced run?

it took me a while to embrace the bio-active approach, but @doublenerds has a very good approach, IMHO. giving the hens something to sort through and discover, acts as a great fascinator for them. just keep adding more in, then rake/shovel it out every 3-6 months and you will have wonderful compost with a healthy micro-biome, a pro-biotic system that is good for the chickens and great for the garden.

If you like spending your time scooping poop, then continue to do so. I have better things to do. My run is DL all the way, and I've made great progress in the last 3 seasons getting the whole 500 s.f. covered in DL. When I clean DL out of my coop, it simply gets pushed into the run to become part of the deep composting litter in the run. The poop simply melts into the DL, and there is never any odor, unless you happen to run across a cecal poo that has yet to be churned in. The birds had an active compost pile during my long winter. By spring, the 4' mound had been broken down to about 1' high. I harvested plenty of compost, while leaving the rest for them to continue to work. They spend their confined time digging for gold. Plenty of worms other beneficial insects, weed seeds and sprouts. Studies have shown that birds on such litter have much better feed conversion and lower incidence of disease. Also much healthier for chicks to be raised on litter that previous flocks have used. Faster growth, better feed conversion, lower mortality.

well put!

If you like spending your time scooping poop, then continue to do so. I have better things to do. My run is DL all the way, and I've made great progress in the last 3 seasons getting the whole 500 s.f. covered in DL. When I clean DL out of my coop, it simply gets pushed into the run to become part of the deep composting litter in the run. The poop simply melts into the DL, and there is never any odor, unless you happen to run across a cecal poo that has yet to be churned in. The birds had an active compost pile during my long winter. By spring, the 4' mound had been broken down to about 1' high. I harvested plenty of compost, while leaving the rest for them to continue to work. They spend their confined time digging for gold. Plenty of worms other beneficial insects, weed seeds and sprouts. Studies have shown that birds on such litter have much better feed conversion and lower incidence of disease. Also much healthier for chicks to be raised on litter that previous flocks have used. Faster growth, better feed conversion, lower mortality.

I have a 60’ x 4’ run which is covered for about 40 feet and completely dry. Up until now it has just been dirt because it is so easy to clean. I just use a dog pooper scooper stick and tray. The dirt is pretty sterile in that it has no bugs or plants, but the chickens do like scratching in it and taking dirt baths all over the run. I have been wondering if by putting in straw and perhaps some leaves from my maple trees if it might be more interesting to the chickens. I am getting some day old chicks next month which is a replacement flock, so I want to make it as interesting and natural as possible since they do not free range. The down side of straw and leaves is that it will make it harder to clean daily scooping poop and I do not want to use deep bedding. I prefer eliminating as much droppings every day as possible. Also, if I do add this material, how often will I have to remove it, if I clean the fun daily?

So my question is, should I leave it dirt or cover the dirt with straw and perhaps some leaves? I have thrown spinach and kale leaves in it every day along with dried grubs.

Thanks.
chickens love to scratch and turn dirt & leaves into compost! Dirt seems to be more steril as long as you add leaves and weeds and such for them to scratch & turn.

I live in the desert and you'd be surprised at how well DL still works without wet dirt. If it gets too dry I add a little water by pouring it in so the top stays dry but really the straw manages to keep the right amount of moisture from evaporating. My chickens love it and so do my neighbors. No smell, just great compost.

Thanks guys, I’m leaning toward leaving it plain dirt. The dry side stays completely dry and the wet side has great drainage and the dirt never gets muddy. I have an enormous quantity of maple leaves in fall, so I may throw some of those leaves down, but I still intend to scoop the poop daily. I’m wondering if the leaves will make it difficult to find the droppings. With just plain dirt it just sits on top of the soil. Problem with deep litter is the soil needs to be moist under the top layer and my soil is dust dry year around and the wet side stays wet for most of 6 months.

Forgot to add that the key to getting it to work is making sure it's deep enough, too shallow and it will be too dry. I dug the dirt out of the run at 2ft.

I live in the desert and you'd be surprised at how well DL still works without wet dirt. If it gets too dry I add a little water by pouring it in so the top stays dry but really the straw manages to keep the right amount of moisture from evaporating. My chickens love it and so do my neighbors. No smell, just great compost.

What is DL? Deep Litter method? Sorry newbie here.

Back
Top Bottom