Strawberries plants the winter

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
Hello all!

I planted some strawberry plants this summer and my gramma always has an amazing bed of strawberries and she says it's because the runners from the previous year are very productive.

So, how do i care for my plants to let them overwinter? Do i need to cover them with a tarp? leaves? or just let them be? thankyou all! ANY tips are appreciated!

We're further north than you - I bury my garden with leaves in October (or when they drop) and that's about all I do.
Now, if I can just get the mice to stop eating the berries before I get them, we'd have a great harvest!
Good luck!

You can leave them be and they'll be fine. You'll need to add nutrients to your soil (compost, organic matter, etc), and occasionally add a few new plants. As the plants age, they will yield less fruit.

We're further north than you - I bury my garden with leaves in October (or when they drop) and that's about all I do.
Now, if I can just get the mice to stop eating the berries before I get them, we'd have a great harvest!
Good luck!
I buried my strawberries in leaves, and never saw them again. They were smothered. I planted more, and cut the plants back towards the crown and just left them out all winter, right now they are growing strong and looking good.

Back
Top Bottom