String Around Leg

Kdchapman

Hatching
May 18, 2024
I have a chick about 6 weeks old that I found had gotten herself wrapped up in string. It was around both legs, but I was able to remove it from one. One of her legs I believe still has string, but it is so deep that I cannot get it off. Her leg is swollen, but still is holding color. I have soaked her in a 1:10 solution of betadine for five minutes. She is still interested in drinking and eating, but I dont think her crop is full. She doesnt like to put weight on it and is mostly laying down. Is there anything I can do to help dissolve the string? At this point I think it has swollen over it / scabbed over it.

Do you have a picture of the leg?

It sounds infected. Is it warm/hot to the touch? A long soak in some warm Epsom salts or your betadine might help you to be able to get that off her leg.

Be prepared with gauze, vet wrap or tape, and triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin without the pain reliever in it as you may make her leg bleed when you remove it.

Once you've got that out, and rinsed well, coated with antibiotic ointment and wrapped up, it should heal up pretty normally. I'd keep her separated for a few days until that heals over so she could have the bandage removed.

I'd also give her Poultry Cell water as that's got vitamins she needs to heal and fight the infection.

Do you have a picture of the leg?

It sounds infected. Is it warm/hot to the touch? A long soak in some warm Epsom salts or your betadine might help you to be able to get that off her leg.

Be prepared with gauze, vet wrap or tape, and triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin without the pain reliever in it as you may make her leg bleed when you remove it.

Once you've got that out, and rinsed well, coated with antibiotic ointment and wrapped up, it should heal up pretty normally. I'd keep her separated for a few days until that heals over so she could have the bandage removed.

I'd also give her Poultry Cell water as that's got vitamins she needs to heal.
Its not warm or red. I cant see the string any longer, but I think it’s because it is swollen over it. I attached pictures. It may be hard to see, but there is no open wound. The dark is dried blood, not the string.

Attachments

• IMG_9511.jpeg
    IMG_9511.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9510.jpeg
    IMG_9510.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9512.jpeg
    IMG_9512.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom