stupid rooster question

There's nothing funnier, and even cute, than a rooster giving his girls a dance! I love that, I get a laugh out of it every time. My older rooster can get it done and over with in just a few seconds so it's not really rough on the girls but my younger rooster is still learning how and he just can't get it right, lol. So he probably just needs more time to get his groove down
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks for this bit of info. The other day my Thai game cock did this as he approached me and I thought it was a sign of aggression. Am I right in thinking now that I was mistaken? If he's just trying to chat me up then I need to know because first of all, I'm a married man, and secondly, I'd hate to give him the boot for doing it if it's not aggression. When he did it, it did puzzle me because he really isn't an aggressive rooster at all, not even towards the other roosters, providing they aren't stupid enough to challenge him.

So, can someone please confirm that the down wing dance is a "love" thing rather than a "I want to fight" thing?

Quote:
Thanks for this bit of info. The other day my Thai game cock did this as he approached me and I thought it was a sign of aggression. Am I right in thinking now that I was mistaken? If he's just trying to chat me up then I need to know because first of all, I'm a married man, and secondly, I'd hate to give him the boot for doing it if it's not aggression. When he did it, it did puzzle me because he really isn't an aggressive rooster at all, not even towards the other roosters, providing they aren't stupid enough to challenge him.

So, can someone please confirm that the down wing dance is a "love" thing rather than a "I want to fight" thing?

Wingdancing is two things. It's a mating thing and a dominance thing. It's how a rooster corrals the hens; get them where he wants them. My adult roo Thor nearly breaks his neck in the mornings trying to keep his girls all hemmed up in a nice circle where he can control them. Like most females, they totally ignore him. Thor knows darn well better than to try it with me, but my little turken cockerel insists on wingdancing me every time he sees me. All day long it's "Impy! Stop wingdancing me!", followed by the sound of my toe connecting with his behind, his squawk, and my DH's laughter.
roll.png

Wingdancing to a human means he's trying to control you. I don't tolerate it.

Okay thanks. He's only done it once, and that was on his first day free ranging with the rest of the flock. All in all, he's a real gentleman although he looks as mean as they come
lol.png

Quote:

Just had to say I laughed out loud when readin this!
yuckyuck.gif

The first time I saw one of my Roos do the 'Drop Wing" dance, I had to run to the barn to make sure the still had not sprung a leak .......... LOL

My oldest rooster, King George, is a BO and he is such a gentleman. He always woos the girls first. If one won't give in to him, he will just move on to the next one.
smile.png

On the other hand, one of my EE roos is a monster! He will chase a hen till he catches her (if he doesn't get in trouble from King George first). The funniest thing is, the delaware girls will have none of it! They will actually turn around and chase him off.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom