Suddenly Aggressive Dog

Hello. I think contacting a Trainer is a great start. Putting a muzzle on her when outside with the other dogs and buying her a outdoor kennel pen might be needed. A Vet can do a blood panel and test for lots of things and possibly might find something that could be triggering her aggressive episodes?
I have 3 bigger outdoor dogs. Maremma, Aussie/Golden Retriver and a Aussie/Border Collie. Sometimes they get into scraps and I physically have to get in the middle and I grab the aggressive dog first and pin them to the ground while I verbally scold them. I put them into a down stay and grab the other and do the same.
I hope you can find what is causing her to be aggressive before you have to leave.

If I understand right she is only fixed and not neutered. This means her ovaries are still working which might be the reason for the aggressive behaviour.

Another reason could be a tumor. Our neighbors had a Dogo Argentino bitch which suddenly turned very aggressive - long story short: she suffered from ovarian tumors and after the surgery everything went back to normal.
I have never heard of just removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact. What would be the point of that? The dog would continue to come into heat.

I have never heard of just removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact. What would be the point of that? The dog would continue to come into heat.
I don't think people understand the difference? A neuter is on males and testicals removed. A spay is on females and everything is removed also. They don't preform hysterectomy on dogs and leave anything behind.

I don't think people understand the difference? A neuter is on males and testicals removed. A spay is on females and everything is removed also. They don't preform hysterectomy on dogs and leave anything behind.
Yeah I saw that reply and had no idea what they were talking about so I just ignored it lol. That may be a bit rude of me but I honestly didn't know how to reply

The point is to impede reproduction but otherwise keep the natural behavior, hormones etc. intact so the bitch will not become "leaky" or sparsely coated or prone to other inconveniences related to hormonal deficiency.

And removing the uterus prevents the otherwise very commonly and often fatal pyometra. In case you are not familiar with the definition: it is a purulent infection of the bitch's uterus.

I assume that in different countries there do exist different approaches and methods to deal with these problems.

Last edited:
There are even several other ways to perform the procedure:

Ligature of the oviduct with uterus intact
Ligature of the oviduct with uterus removal
Removal of ovaries with uterus intact
Removal of ovaries and uterus...

... just to name a few ;)

The reason you confused me is because you said "Only fixed, not neutered". However, I said she was spayed, meaning all of her reproductive organs were removed. "Neutered" applies only to male dogs. The terminology you used was in fact, not what you meant by it..

My Bulldog has grown up with all of these dogs, and all dogs are fixed,...

You used the "fixed" term in you first post. Something I had never heard or read before in this context.

But anyway, I suppose there is just a difference in terms and understanding depending on the
respective countries.

I did not look to see where you live, but here in the US when you send a dog or cat to be spayed, it comes back without its uterus and without the ovaries. Maybe you look at it differently, but one reason I spay my females is because I do not want to deal with the hassle of a cat or a dog in heat. By just removing the uterus, you will prevent uterine cancer and pyometra. However, by leaving the ovaries the female is more likely to get mammary tumors than she would if the ovaries were removed before her first heat. The problems you mentioned, like urinary incontinence are most often seen if the procedure is done too early. I suppose this is a case of you pays your money and you takes your choice.

You used the "fixed" term in you first post. Something I had never heard or read before in this context.

But anyway, I suppose there is just a difference in terms and understanding depending on the
respective countries.
Yeah, here in the USA, "fixing" animals is all the rage. Basically, in the New York/New Jersey area, animal owners whose animals are not "fixed" are practically considered irresponsible. Basically all the dogs have been spayed or neutered, and the only puppies available outside a store are pitbulls. (They sometimes tried to make them sound more appealing by calling them something like American Staffordshires.) In stores you can buy a dog for $800-1000 dollars. It's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom