Suggestions for nesting boxes? What do you LOVE about yours?

sueiris

Crowing
15 Years
We're still in the process of building our 8 x 12 coop which will be divided into two coops. I'm thinking that I can put 10 or so birds in each side. They will have an outdoor pen and we also usually free range during the day. We have Black and Chocolate Wyandotte bantams (hens and roosters) and a few older Ameraucana girls.

I'm wondering how many nests do I need? One for each hen, or can I get away with three or four in each side? Also, I've been looking at the dish pan designs, but also had a friend tell me she uses nest liners. Hay, straw or pine shavings for the nests? How high and how big do they need to be?

Just trying to get some suggestions......would prefer to get this done well the first time!

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome coop!

Our birds get run of the barn, so our nest boxes are a little different. I have some sideways metal cans, crates with blankets over them, a cardboard box, a dark corner, and many others. I would prefer them to use their wooden nest boxes that we made for them, but they like to sleep in those instead.
smile.png
They probably have worked the best of all my nest boxes, but with enough padding and daily collection most of the others work as well. A tall lip certainly helps to keep eggs and nest lining inside.
You can have 1 nest box per three or four hens, though you'll often find all the hens trying to use one nest box, just because its their favorite.
smile.png

You can use special nest box liners, hay/straw (about equal), or wood shavings. Wood shavings keep things cleaner and will last longer, but I collect my own grass hay so I use hay for all the nest boxes (since its free). Hay works well, except my chickens have been using the nest boxes to use the bathroom, to break and eat eggs, ect, so they have gotten pretty messy. I'm working on that.
Our nest boxes are about 14-16 inches long and 12-14 inches tall as well as about 12 inches deep with a lip of an inch or so. We have twelve boxes inside of their roosting room, but they tend to use only three or four of them as well as some of their "hidden" nests.

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

One of their hidden nests, a cardboard box

A broody bantam hen in one of our nest boxes, a small opening in the wire allows her to get in and out but the standard sized hens can't

A broody bantam with her chicks inside of a crate

With 10 birds a side you can probably get by with 3-4 nesting boxes per side, it all depends on your birds... If any start going broody you can lose the nest, overnight and need more, or they might all choose to use one nest...

I use these http://www.menards.com/main/grocery...p-1478256-c-8292.htm?tid=-5548413490195255195

Just remove the door flap, and toss in some straw or wood shavings...

The I like these is that they are easy to clean, I can remove them and power wash them at any time, for me this was the big advantage... As said above you will get those birds that believe it's an outhouse or a place to smash and eat eggs, the ability to remove and clean easily pays for itself IMO... Plus they were a no labor, just purchase and toss in the coop, if I need more I just buy more as needed...

I also have bantams and use black plastic vegetable bins with removable lids. They clean easily and i just line them up on the floor. If you end up with a broody hen you can just move her nest and all...best accomplished at night.

Broody hen with chicks.

You can see nest boxes in lower left corner. I have 4 nest boxes for 20 bantam hens they mostly use 2. LOL.

Good luck wiyh your project. Check out my profile pictures for more ideas.

:thumbsup

I love everything about my nests.....
....check out the My Coop link under my avatar to see then installed in coop shed.
My coop also design to split into 2 coop areas.

Back
Top Bottom