Suggestions Please! New layers won't lay in new coop

Allow them to get used to the new coop first or cut them off cold-turkey?

• Allow them to use old nest box until they feel more comfortable in the new coop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try to cut them off now and lock them in new coop in the morning until they lay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aggielady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 3, 2013
Texas
My oldest two (SLW) started laying just about a week ago
yesss.gif
. Before now, I didn't wanted to invest in a fancy new coop if for some reason I had issues and had to give the chickens away. I have had them now almost 6 months and all is well and of course I love them dearly, so I invested in a nice new coop. Before we had repurposed our kids playhouse and used a large dog kennel for the attached run. I used a rubbermaid tote with a hole cut in the lid for the nest box and they loved it (sometimes all 5 would pile up inside at once to sleep).
They only laid one or two eggs in there before we got the new coop. Here she is in the tote this morning as she was about to lay.

I know they just have to get used to the new coop but:

1) I live in a neighborhood and they protest LOUDLY in the morning to go into the old coop to lay.
The ceramic eggs are in the new nest boxes, so they panic when they don't find them where they expect them to be in the old nest (more panic and protesting).
I have even placed the girls in the new nest boxes with the ceramic eggs and its still met with confusion and loud protesting.

2) I worry about them since they just started laying and don't want to stress them too much with all the other changes from starting to lay.

Its not until I place a fake egg in the old nest box that the settle down and then lay immediately.
Like an over-indulgent mom, I have allowed them to use the old box yesterday and today, but need them to start using the new box before they develop a bad habit.

My hope is that with every night spent in the new coop they will feel more comfortable with it and eventually want to lay there. Is this a good theory or am I just enabling them?

ANY AND ALL suggestions and advice are appreciated!!

Last edited:
My concern with locking them in for a few days is the noise-- they are SO LOUD-- bothering my sweet neighbors; and the fact that the coop area is almost totally dark. The food is in the attached run too. Should I allow them to be in the run too or would that defeat the purpose?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom