Sultan Hen

6chickens in St. Charles

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
St. Charles, IL
I have cancer and cannot spend the time I used to with Miss Minnie Pearl, that "bottom rung of the pecking order" odd little hen in my flock of banties. My husband says we should find a new home for her. Our rooster picks on her and she has never been mated, they treat her like she's not even a chicken or part of the flock. Since her moult I haven't even trimmed her bangs yet and with my radiation burns/sickness my family is not allowing me too near the dirty parts of life.

What would you do? We live in Saint Charles, IL

I have cancer and cannot spend the time I used to with Miss Minnie Pearl, that "bottom rung of the pecking order" odd little hen in my flock of banties. My husband says we should find a new home for her. Our rooster picks on her and she has never been mated, they treat her like she's not even a chicken or part of the flock. Since her moult I haven't even trimmed her bangs yet and with my radiation burns/sickness my family is not allowing me too near the dirty parts of life.

What would you do? We live in Saint Charles, IL
I am sorry to hear of your illness and wish you all the best. I don't know what I'd do, honestly. On the one hand, she's an established member of your flock. She knows and is used to her place in it, even if it is the bottom of the pecking order. She knows all the chickens in that flock. If you found her a new home, she'd have to start that process all over again. Adding one bird to a flock usually isn't easy on the newcomer. On the other hand, if you could find someone with one chicken that needs another chicken for company, it could work out. There are no guarantees either way.

hugs.gif

From someone who's been through the cancer gamut, and come out the other end.

If you're really concerned about her and think she may do better in another situation, you shouldn't have much problem finding her a place. Do a nice write up on CL or Face Book, wherever, Emphasize she's a pet, that she would probably make a wonderful companion for a disabled or special needs bird, something like that. She may be just what someone is looking for. And if not, you can always keep her. Like bobbi-j said, most animals at the bottom of the social order are pretty content with it. I think most times, it bothers the humans a lot more than the animals themselves.

Back
Top Bottom