Summer Shenanigans - VOTE NOW

What project should I start this summer?

• Total voters
Ah, that's understandable. This study would require quite warm temperatures to be done correctly, so you're right. At least you won't be having unbearable heat all summer!
True. It could be worse.
Very interesting thread and curious to see what you come up with.
I'd be super interested in seeing a rooster study also. Like some that are completely raised hands off and others raised with cuddles and hugs to see the difference in temperament/behavior outcome... 🙂

Marans in any of your decided projects would be a super bonus...👍
I’ve done the raising part at length already, with my results documented in my article. However, I’ve had such good results that I now no longer have aggressive roosters, hence my need to buy roosters that are already mean. :p
I think you should do a rooster study. See if you can hatch one under a broody so that it will receive proper training from the mama. Hatch other chicks with it and make sure you have another coop to put him and the other chicks in once Mama Hen abandons them. I'd like to know how it would go with a small hatch of five eggs or something like that, since I've heard that's a more natural number for them.
I don’t have enough time to hatch & raise cockerels again - I only have 3 months. However, I’ve done similar things in the article as-is thus far. Thanks!
Raise barred rocks! They are a great duel purpose breed.
Or raise bearded duccle bantams!
I’ve had both breeds before, but not many d’uccles - I could try them again. Thanks!
What about Swedish Flower Hens? That's what @2ndTink started raising after Marek's hit some of her silkies, as those are naturally resistant to Marek's.

How about a project that involves cross-breeding of hardy, disease-resistant breeds?
Oh, now those are pretty to boot.
Sounds like my old Peaches project that is now overrunning @Conan and her entire social network. Sadly, I can’t do anything that requires multiple generations, as I have a hard time limit of 3 months.

I'd love to see a short (or longer) study on comb and wattle surface area in relation to heat hardiness. My own experience tells me those two things are definitely connected, but some have disagreed, so it'd be nice to have a more "organised" study
I've seen correlation between waddle size and testicle size during harvest..

The testes matched the waddles.. the particular rooster had one big and one small.

Maybe if a (mean) rooster study is done this could be part of the reporting. :pop

I've seen correlation between waddle size and testicle size during harvest..

The testes matched the waddles.. the particular rooster had one big and one small.

Maybe if a (mean) rooster study is done this could be part of the reporting. :pop

Interesting! In that case, I'm slightly worried for this boy
Screenshot_20240513_182314_Gallery.jpg

What about Swedish Flower Hens? That's what @2ndTink started raising after Marek's hit some of her silkies, as those are naturally resistant to Marek's.

How about a project that involves cross-breeding of hardy, disease-resistant breeds?
I was going to suggest SFHs! They are so much fun, some of them are bold and goofy and they are so pretty to boot!

True. It could be worse.

I’ve done the raising part at length already, with my results documented in my article. However, I’ve had such good results that I now no longer have aggressive roosters, hence my need to buy roosters that are already mean. :p

I don’t have enough time to hatch & raise cockerels again - I only have 3 months. However, I’ve done similar things in the article as-is thus far. Thanks!

I’ve had both breeds before, but not many d’uccles - I could try them again. Thanks!

Oh, now those are pretty to boot.
Sounds like my old Peaches project that is now overrunning @Conan and her entire social network. Sadly, I can’t do anything that requires multiple generations, as I have a hard time limit of 3 months.
I read Debbie's post and made mine and used "to boot" then turned the page and you said the SAME THING! If this doesn't prove you need SFHs I don't know of what does!!!

Back
Top Bottom