Sunday dinner!

The cheek coop

Crowing
Jun 20, 2023
London Ky
In our home growing up we always had a big Sunday dinner. After church Sunday morning mom would get home and start cooking. We would always have about 10 or more to feed and mom would pull out all the stops. A Sunday dinner would consist of chicken and dumplings with cornbread, maybe pot roast with carrots and potatoes and even homemade bbq meatballs and when I say homemade I mean starting with ground beef and mixing by hand. And that’s not all. Most of the meals were served with mashed potatoes , corn or green beans and always Mac and cheese and bread of some kind. My dad thinks if bread and potatoes are not on the table it’s not a meal. lol. Since my wife have been married we too have continued this tradition in our home. And may I say my wife is one of the best cooks I know. She is the envy of all my coworkers when I bring homemade bread or cookies to work and Sunday dinner is no different.

This brings me to this thread. How about posting your family’s Sunday dinners. Maybe a meal your mom or dad or grandparents made or a special memory with family and friends around the Sunday dinner table.

Sunday dinner is a family tradition that we have enjoyed for decades and hope to enjoy for decades to come. We love sharing this tradition with our children and hopefully one day our grandchildren will remember Sunday dinner at the grandparents house.

Sunday dinner today was meatloaf (my favorite) with mashed potatoes, Mac and Cheese, sweet peas, carrots, fried green tomatoes and rolls. Soooo yummy

Attachments

• IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 0
Sunday dinner today was meatloaf (my favorite) with mashed potatoes, Mac and Cheese, sweet peas, carrots, fried green tomatoes and rolls. Soooo yummy
It looks good! We don’t have Sunday dinner, or lunch, or breakfast. I love how it’s the traditional thing to do but I hate cooking so I’m not sure I’d do it if I started my own family. Thank you for sharing your memory, though…I love to hear other’s stories!

Our Sunday Dinner is either weds or thurs due to my wife's work schedule. Most of the week I have stuff prepped for the kids that's fast/easy or I will do something that they can come by when they're hungry and eat (like a pot roast in the slow cooker that will stay warm for several hours, for example).

One night a week we have a meal together at the table. No phones, no TV, nothing like that. The kids fuss about it sometimes, but they also are sure to make noise about it if we DON'T do it, so I know they look forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom