sunnywoodlands

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
We have a small homestead/farm in New Hampshire (US).

We have 13 laying hens we got last year and a RIR rooster ("Sam") that sired 35 RIR and RIR/PBR chicks with them this year. Those incubator-born birds are about 3 months old now. We lost four of those early on, and about 7 of the 55 total eggs had developed chicks that didn't hatch--probably because the humidity dropped too much near the end.

At the same time our own chicks were hatching in early July, I got 6 Leghorns at TSC because my DH is one of those rare people who really can't eat brown eggs. And I also got 2 "Sapphire Gems" because they are so pretty and #ChickenMath ;) What's another eight when you're already raising 31 chicks? LOL

I won't do another incubator round this year, because it's starting to get cold, and I need to spend more time building more enclosures for the young ones and the meat rabbits we also raise.

We have some 6 month-old meat birds left from an order of 25 earlier this year; just a few will be kept for breeding -- a Plymouth Barred Rock, a Speckled Sussex, and maybe a Buff Orpington. There was also a female Plymouth Barred Rock included with that order, and I just found some tiny eggs in the nesting box that probably mean she's a layer now, so that makes 14.

Other hobbies? We are involved in Scouting with our boys, love being outdoors, and gardening. That all balances out our very tech-centric professional side.

I've been reading BYC since my first attempt at raising poultry in Vermont about 6 years ago. I had to give up there due to predator pressure. I finally joined BYC forum so I could post pics of one of our Buffs whose gender was confusing me. :)

You can see our farm updates at https://sunnywoodlands.farm

-- Bonnie

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_200750.jpg
    IMG_20210605_200750.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210707_204725.jpg
    IMG_20210707_204725.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom