Super special duck

The new pekin is coming from a home where they lost the other pekin they had and did not know what to do they sad he would not eat so they called here to see if we would take him in so maybe saturday maybe sunday he will be here. Gimpy you can tell is feeling better he is being a brat but still not walking allot.
Teenagers!!

lol he was throwing his food bowl around at 6 this morning will take him out after coffee so he can help me build the new chicken coop
Yep put him to work be good for building up his wing muscles.. post pics when finished always good to see different coops so folks get ideas on what might work for them.

will do Gimpy does not appear to be getting much better with his leg almost seems like it is useless to him he tries to use his head for a leg and just flops in circles, We may end up building a few special pens for him one inside one outside. We are not giving up on him but we do wonder if he is giving up. Will post pics when he has a better day.

will do Gimpy does not appear to be getting much better with his leg almost seems like it is useless to him he tries to use his head for a leg and just flops in circles, We may end up building a few special pens for him one inside one outside. We are not giving up on him but we do wonder if he is giving up. Will post pics when he has a better day.
I'm so sorry to hear this, We always want them to get over their problems and its good that your not giving up, maybe you can rig up so kind of devise kinda like they have for dogs when they can no longer walk. I don't know if it could be done for a duck since they only have 2 legs but i have seen where folks on here have made slings for their ducks chickens and even geese. Did you get your new ducks?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this, We always want them to get over their problems and its good that your not giving up, maybe you can rig up so kind of devise kinda like they have for dogs when they can no longer walk. I don't know if it could be done for a duck since they only have 2 legs but i have seen where folks on here have made slings for their ducks chickens and even geese. Did you get your new ducks?

The lady never called or showed up so we did not get the new one here is a pic of Gimpy from today he seems dirty cause he is allways rolling to get every where but he has all his feathers now.

I have a gosling with similar issues. He slipped a tendon in one of his legs and even the vet couldn't get it to go back into place (the knee joint looks flat...not like his other leg). To prevent the tendon from continually shortening, which would eventually draw his leg up under him and make it completely useless, we developed a daily system.

At first I used a q-tip cut in half and now a heavyweight straw and medical tape to create a splint (have to be careful it isn't too tight or it will cut off the blood flow to the foot). I gently move his leg every day for several minutes every morning. Once it seems to have straigtened as far as it can without hurting him, I splint in in that location. I used a piece of sewing bias tape and some metal snaps to make him some hobbles. While he is wearing these he can use the toes of the bad leg for balance.

We have a large mortar mixing pan we got from Lowes (about 16x30 x10) that I use for his pond time daily. I remove the hobbles and let him swim till he asks to get out by coming to the corner where I am sitting and attempting to get out.

We also put him in the gosling playpen outside everyday. He loves eating the grass and is protected from the menagerie of ducks, geese, and chickens as well as any predators that may come sniffing around. Here is a picture of it (has 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth sides that don't show up in the picture):

You will need to do whatever you can for him to keep him from scooting on his belly. It will wear all his feathers off and eventually cause him sores and discomfort: If that happens you may have less pleasant options to consider. However, I believe accomodations can be made for most situations...it just takes thinking outside the box sometimes.

I know people who have disabled dogs that made them little rolling scooters that they move with their good legs. I don't know if that would work for a duck or goose, but my husband has actually thought about it. All we would need is to get him a diaper, some shoes (like the ones for indoor ducks), and keep him inside....lol. My goal is to build him his own area outside and try to keep him as mobile as possible.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

I have a gosling with similar issues. He slipped a tendon in one of his legs and even the vet couldn't get it to go back into place (the knee joint looks flat...not like his other leg). To prevent the tendon from continually shortening, which would eventually draw his leg up under him and make it completely useless, we developed a daily system.

At first I used a q-tip cut in half and now a heavyweight straw and medical tape to create a splint (have to be careful it isn't too tight or it will cut off the blood flow to the foot). I gently move his leg every day for several minutes every morning. Once it seems to have straigtened as far as it can without hurting him, I splint in in that location. I used a piece of sewing bias tape and some metal snaps to make him some hobbles. While he is wearing these he can use the toes of the bad leg for balance.

We have a large mortar mixing pan we got from Lowes (about 16x30 x10) that I use for his pond time daily. I remove the hobbles and let him swim till he asks to get out by coming to the corner where I am sitting and attempting to get out.

We also put him in the gosling playpen outside everyday. He loves eating the grass and is protected from the menagerie of ducks, geese, and chickens as well as any predators that may come sniffing around. Here is a picture of it (has 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth sides that don't show up in the picture):

You will need to do whatever you can for him to keep him from scooting on his belly. It will wear all his feathers off and eventually cause him sores and discomfort: If that happens you may have less pleasant options to consider. However, I believe accomodations can be made for most situations...it just takes thinking outside the box sometimes.

I know people who have disabled dogs that made them little rolling scooters that they move with their good legs. I don't know if that would work for a duck or goose, but my husband has actually thought about it. All we would need is to get him a diaper, some shoes (like the ones for indoor ducks), and keep him inside....lol. My goal is to build him his own area outside and try to keep him as mobile as possible.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
That is so sweet all the time and effort you have put into your gosling, *I hope it pays off and you see great results from it. Great ideas too.

That is so sweet all the time and effort you have put into your gosling, *I hope it pays off and you see great results from it. Great ideas too.

Thanks Lydia. Really though, how could I put down an otherwise perfectly healthy gosling as long as he can walk at all? I have kept him walking, although he uses his wings (what their are of them) for balance.
He is very careful with the goslings while in the playpen: They love him and as soon as he lays down scamper over and use his back as a pillow.

Here are a couple pictures of Griffin, as our daughter named him (the camera angle makes the goslings look smaller than they actually are). You can see his splint in the second photo and the purple by his feet is his hobbles.

I just hope the OP is able to get her sweet little duck a bit more mobility.

Back
Top Bottom