Supervised Free Ranging is Not without Risks - Raptor Attack

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
People often ask how best to keep their ducks "safe." The hard truth is that you can't.

All you can do is manage the risk. We manage the risk with a predator proof run at night and when we are away. Our next level of risk tolerance is the fenced pastures around the duckrun with plenty of coverage and hiding spots for napping and avoiding aerial attacks. Our final level of risk tolerance is supervised free ranging 2x per day.

Yesterday during our evening supervised free range, we had a close call with a raptor that I just happened to catch on film. Everybody was okay, but it's a good reminder that all we can do is manage the risk and find out what are own risk tolerance is given all the factors that go into raising and keeping ducks.

People often ask how best to keep their ducks "safe." The hard truth is that you can't.

All you can do is manage the risk. We manage the risk with a predator proof run at night and when we are away. Our next level of risk tolerance is the fenced pastures around the duckrun with plenty of coverage and hiding spots for napping and avoiding aerial attacks. Our final level of risk tolerance is supervised free ranging 2x per day.

Yesterday during our evening supervised free range, we had a close call with a raptor that I just happened to catch on film. Everybody was okay, but it's a good reminder that all we can do is manage the risk and find out what are own risk tolerance is given all the factors that go into raising and keeping ducks.

OH my goodness! That’s terrifying!!! Good thing you were out there!

OH my goodness! That’s terrifying!!! Good thing you were out there!
Honestly, had it been an eagle or a large owl, I don't think it would not have made a difference if we were there or not. I'm not sure if this guy was a juvenile who simply misjudged his or her prey, but thankfully everyone was okay.

yeeesh! I know there will neer be a predator proof free range,but this made me glad our (supervised) free range area is our Back yard and open enough for us to Never lose sight of he ducks. When I first Started doing our “walks”, one of he local raptors circled around us for a good 30-45mins. Its never returned, but that made me so nervous!

Back
Top Bottom