Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I haven’t updated in a long time
So much has happened lately we bought an acreage with 16 acres
We have the keys and have slowly been moving in but it’s a 3 hour drive
I had rescued 2 little emu babies and after my vet and massage guy tried all we could to save them when the growth spurt happened the bad leg got so bad it was to cruel to keep them alive
Both were put to rest a week apart as each one happened at different times
When meadow was put to rest that left ocean alone so the lady I got my eggs from had a lone emu hatch and gave him to me to keep ocean company
A week later ocean needed to be put down and poor river was upset
He didn’t eat at all that day and just cried non stop
I couldn’t find any emu babies but a lady I knew had a lone gosling
We drove up to get it
Took the night but river settled right in with his new friend
They have been great buddies ever since.
My daughter also had only one duckling hatch as my bator acted up on her so I bought 4 unrelated anconas to join my crew
I added the 5 ducklings in with the gosling and emu
They have become a tight little family
While all this was going on my new puppy I got to train to watch my flock at the farm somehow broke out of the barrier and had one of my ducks ( my first baby I hatched ) one ground on his back
Was the scariest thing I have ever gone through with them
Poor germ was flat like a pancake and hardly mouth breathing
I picked him up and ran in the house
Got my son to hold him and call vet while I locked the dog in his kennel and went to check my flock as they were nowhere in sight
Thank the lord they were all fine but hiding in the coop
I thought germs back was broken. He was flat legs straight out and shallow breathing
At the vets we were able to check him over with her help
Again thank the lord his wounds were not bad it was shock that was really bad
He had teeth holes in his beak
His legs had bite marks but not deep enough to cause issues
Scratch marks on his back as well as all his tail feathers pulled out
She was able to give him a shot for the pain and shock
By the time we got home he was starting to stand up as even gave a few drake chats
Took him a day to fully come out of the shock and only a few days to be back to himself chasing the girls
I must have caught it in time
The puppy is a very smart dog and I’m certain could be trained to guard them one day but I no longer could trust him and even a week later when my birds saw him from 40 feet away they ran for cover
I won’t stress them out trying to force them ti trust this dog who hurt one of them
I found him a wonderful home with no birds
Then just a few days ago we had to put our 13.5 year old wiener dog down as his final stage of heart disease had got so bad
3 animals in less then 2 weeks was a tough pill to swallow
The vet clinic I go to I could see they had tears along side of me
Thankfully my birds still trust my husky who has never hurt any of them and just loves them
Im very sorry for your losses.

Congrats on the land!

A duckling? Or adult saying brooder confuses. If flight feathers are grown in fully you only need to clip one wing
https://www.raising-ducks.com/clipping-a-ducks-wings/
Oop yeah sorry, I just say brooder bc technically it is just an XXL brooder since their outdoor coop isn’t done yet. Why does she want to escape and fly onto my bed even though she has full food and water and doesn’t want me to touch herrrrr. She’s almost 14 weeks

Oop yeah sorry, I just say brooder bc technically it is just an XXL brooder since their outdoor coop isn’t done yet. Why does she want to escape and fly onto my bed even though she has full food and water and doesn’t want me to touch herrrrr. She’s almost 14 weeks
Cause she can lol Muscovy love to fly too so they get one wing clipped after molt in fall.
My Sprightly used to do this! I'd wake up to the flapping of wings and then feel a thud as she drops on me.
I'd ask for five more minutes but she would just start nibbling on my ears until I got up. Usually Dougie would join her at that point.

As difficult as it was to co-live with them indoors, I do miss that one thing :love

Back
Top Bottom