Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

The younger ducks were acting a bit strange and running around. When they went to the other side of their pond and started looking up I thought there was a hawk or other bird of prey.
Well...
The neighbor's fig tree started growing over our side of the fence. (over the duck pond) Apparently a young squirrel sits up there eating the figs. The ducks were waiting for the squirrel to drop some. 🙃 Once something was dropped one of the the ducks would grab it and the chase was on.

The younger ducks were acting a bit strange and running around. When they went to the other side of their pond and started looking up I thought there was a hawk or other bird of prey.
Well...
The neighbor's fig tree started growing over our side of the fence. (over the duck pond) Apparently a young squirrel sits up there eating the figs. The ducks were waiting for the squirrel to drop some. 🙃 Once something was dropped one of the the ducks would grab it and the chase was on.
They are so observant and don't miss a thing!!!

Got a visit from a fox yesterday evening, before he could have a snack the geese rounded up the 20 ducks and had them in the Waddle Inn, wife so happened to happen up it in the making and seen it. She yelled out to me and the fox ran off, I heard and ran to grab rifle, then ran for high ground. Let's just say as infantry combat vet that fox didn't stand a chance.
Let the ducks and geese out this morning and they sure are leery, not eating, ran back to the Inn at least once and the geese are keeping the flock tight and ready. No frolicking in the water either. Going to take a bit to get them back to normal.

I think there will be either fat ducks or sweet addictive. ones. LOL
Got a visit from a fox yesterday evening, before he could have a snack the geese rounded up the 20 ducks and had them in the Waddle Inn, wife so happened to happen up it in the making and seen it. She yelled out to me and the fox ran off, I heard and ran to grab rifle, then ran for high ground. Let's just say as infantry combat vet that fox didn't stand a chance.
Let the ducks and geese out this morning and they sure are leery, not eating, ran back to the Inn at least once and the geese are keeping the flock tight and ready. No frolicking in the water either. Going to take a bit to get them back to normal.
Very smart geese !!
glad everyone is ok

That's why I got them, their job is to watch the flock, just didn't expect to heard the flock as needed.
I use to think my Stella was chasing my younger ducks till I realized she was herding them
It’s really incredible to watch
I only have one goose at the moment and she is only 3.5 months old and she has that instinct
The younger ducks are the 2.5 months but came with her

That's why I got them, their job is to watch the flock, just didn't expect to heard the flock as needed.
Funny, my ducks herd my chickens when needed... Including the roosters.

Though I am disappointed in my flock. There was a 4-5ish foot egg snake, in the coop, eating an egg a couple of days ago and NO ONE alerted. The only chicken that even seemed to notice is the one that had been sitting on that nest.

Maybe I should get geese?

So glad to see all is at least safe and that you were able to get rid of the predator. Good thing you folks were where you were when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom