Surprise babies!

Iain Utah

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 17, 2011
So I have a place in the barn that was the late end of season catch all nest for a few geese. My production toulouse goose decided to sit on it many weeks ago and I never thought any would hatch. Much to my surprise, she hatched a pair of babies yesterday! They could be hers, but no idea who father would be since she is not mated to any specific gander. They appear grey toulouse and perhaps even dewlap toulouse, but not sure yet. Either way, they are adorable! The head gander of her group (a white african) decided instantly to be dad/protector.

Amazing to see how big my four pack of buff dewlaps are (hatched on Easter), compared to the new pair.
IMAG0172.jpg
IMAG0175.jpg

Thanks! I love our property and our geese. These babies are well protected!

I acquired a trio of white africans many years ago (now a pair after one goose passed away), but only successfully hatched one white gander, shown in first pic with his mate, a white embden/toulouse goose. The gander in 2nd picture is his father.

@servpolice -- 2019 hatchalong thread died out a while ago, but love to catch up on this thread.

No major changes to my flock. A few older ones passed, but I managed to hatch the four buff dewlaps (pictured above) this year. One of my reliable broodies hatched a brown african this spring, and now I have these two surprise babies, bringing my flock total to 35.

How did your 2019 season go?

Back
Top Bottom