Surviving Infectious Coryza

ChuSayBok

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
where all natives know what grits are
I'm new to this and there are tons of threads on coryza; please excuse if I've overlooked, but I've combed them for a time; didn't find anything on a search paired with survival. I'm writing because I noticed other people who are in the same quandary as myself and it's hard to get detailed information for people who are committed to fighting this illness because of the long term effects and because it is so contagious and deadly, not to mention, disgusting, demoralizing, and difficult to deal with. Here is a rather lengthy synopsis of my struggle. Please feel free to post links to success stories; I saw one where a person used oregano oil successfully en totale. This person was most likely more vigilant and consistent than I was able to be. For those that question the validity of whether it was actually coryza caused by the bacteria Haemophilus paragallinarum, all the symptoms were present at some time, including the odor, though I have not validated this with a lab test. From what I've read, the symptoms are pretty conclusive, especially the smell.

After over 2 years of keeping free rangers (most of which I hatched myself or my hens hatched,) I got my first coryza infected bird from someone who was a trusted friend of a trusted friend...
By the time I knew what I was dealing with, much of my flock had already been exposed. I put acv and oregano oil in their water and that seemed to keep it from spreading originally. I had some success with oregano oil, but at this point I have over 50 birds in 3 groups: my newest babies that are totally separate from everyone and kept in a coop that I move regularly and don't let out yet (which are totally clean so far,) the group close to the house I raised that are young (which is where I put the new birds, b/c they were similar in age,) and the group further away with a mixed bunch; 9 of which go into the woods everyday in a feral fashion and only return for lunch and bed. The interesting thing is that while I'm fighting this horrible condition (since I was too stubborn to follow the excellent but fatal advice of those who advocate culling because most of these are my babies,) I've found that certain birds seem to have an ironclad resistance to it.

I have an egger hen (my oldest bird actually) that I adopted from a feednseed as a week old chick. She has shown no symptoms and continued laying in spite of being in close proximity to (including lodging,) eating, and drinking after her infected companions. None of her daughters have shown symptoms either, and all have continued to lay. One other unrelated hen had symptoms (rasping only) and I treated her with oregano oil only. She promptly was symptom free and started laying again right after she was done w her chicks (none of whom have shown symptoms either.) This hen was also completely exposed. There were a couple of other hens who have had wheezing only that are part of this group (which eats off the land more) that I tx'ed w oregano oil only also, and they recovered, but haven't started laying, but one was broody and had her eggs stolen, the other still has chicks in tow.
The 9 semi-feral young chickens which are about 4 months old at this point have shared living quarters with these plus 2 roos that caught it: one was recovering after taking heroic measures by using oregano oil, only to fall to a predator; the other I shot with Tylan 50 because I was too exhausted to fight him and force the oil on him day after day. Anyway, the 9 have not developed any symptoms, even after sharing food, water, and sleeping space with infected chickens sneezing in close proximity.

The ones who have had the most difficulty have been those that I housed the original new chickens with. There were 6 new ones. Out of those, one was possibly already sick and barely showed symptoms, but was light and listless and died within a couple of weeks after I discovered the malady. The one who originally brought it in that had the necrotic tell-tale coryza smell never showed any other symptoms and doesn't have the smell much anymore, but still has some mucus discharge, it appears. One other developed a nasal discharge only. The other 3 show no signs.

Of my own that I boarded them with, several have had symptoms ranging from wheeze/rattles to eyes swollen shut. I've seen sites saying babies don't get it, but I had some 6 week old chicks in another part of that coop that have shown symptoms; 2/8 have died, I gave Tylan 50 shots to 3 or 4 and they have recovered if I caught it in time. Of the larger, I used either acv/oregano oil/colloidal silver only, Tylan 50 only, or in one case, a combination of the 2. The major difference between the two groups is that the ones that got sick first, got the sickest, and have taken the longest to recover are the ones that stay closest to home, eat mostly corn, and tend to lounge in the shade of the house and automobiles rather than venture off in search of forage. I've ended up having to use the Tylan on at least 3 of these that I had tried treating with oregano oil (but ran out of patience, because the chu are not on board with that method at all. They will take the silver more willingly, but the oil seems more effective than the silver. The ones I used silver only on I ended up having to give shots to.

The Tylan 50 is clearly the more effective remedy short term. As much as I despise having to use commercial antibiotics, it's easy to understand now why large scale livestock producers use them prophylactically. The acv/oregano oil and/or colloidal silver is fine if you are dealing with a couple of babies and committed to cuddling them and watching their progress several times a day, but it doesn't eliminate the spread completely the way I was doing it, letting them out and allowing them to put themselves to bed in the evening, having to go to work, etc.. However, I can see that if you are committed to sticking to it, it is very effective for keeping the disease from progressing to the point where the eyes puff and crust over, the nose cheese runs, and the final collapse if left untreated. Being able to free range over a wooded area, while fraught with peril on account of predators, seems to make a huge difference in the ability to resist and recover.

Time will tell what its effectiveness is overall. I will purchase some lime as soon as I am able to put down around their night coops and inside. I understand that most people that write on the subject don't believe this is curable and that all my survivors will be carriers. Since I've learned from experience that most people don't write from their own experience what the facts are, but rather what they have read or been told, I have to find out for myself whether or not this is true. I may end up eating crow, and have had my fair share of it already, but please don't wag a finger at me over not killing off my flock, because they are not in danger of spreading it, and from the number of people that write in about it, there is sufficient prevalence that if you get chickens from anywhere that gets chickens from anywhere else, you run a risk of encountering this. With that being said, I hope there are a few people out there that have found doing this the hard way can be successful and I hope to hear from you.

Thanks for replying. I figured I'd get a lot of cricket chirps, and I know posting something like this that people that know more than I do have very strong opinions about could make me persona non grata right off the bat. That's certainly not my intent, but I have too much of my life and heart invested and this is something that is obviously affecting many people/chickens in similar situations. I know that I can't transfer any exposed birds outside the premises, and I'm not selling or even giving any away at this point unless they come straight from the incubator. I'm hoping as time passes that my exposed birds will be immune and not pass it on, but the only way I can test that is to see how my babies do as they come along. I will be happy to report my results, positive or negative. The fortunate thing if that is the the case is that if I were to foolishly take in a sick bird again (which is not likely to happen soon) my flock would theoretically be resistant as long as it's the same pathogen. I noticed the post you had that listed the bacteria with the genus avibacterium rather than haemophilus. What's scary is that from this article (at end of paragraph) there could be a host of closely related bacteria that have similar pathways and dna/rna structure, but be different enough to avoid immediate detection by the immune system, even by an exposed bird. Apparently the eggheads involved researching this like to rename things from time to time as well so that we all stay confused (jk, respect to the eggheads for providing this info.) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15653900

There is also a very real possibility that there are multiple pathogens present that the birds may not show symptoms for, which further compromises immunity.

Here is another long and complicated pubmed article that complicates the issue further by throwing in another pathogenic variable, Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale, which was isolated in S. Africa less than 20 years ago, which is in the US now. Also covers some research on vaccines. It's one of many that I could sift through for days before possibly gleaning any real practical info, but for haystack enthusiasts, here you go. That's my TMI for the day. Cheers.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88928/

This is a post I hate writing, thus starts the crow ingestion phase. Death toll is up to 10 now. I have my unexposed separated from my exposed birds, but there are several in various stages of survival or not. I did lose one wild pullet, but I think it may be due to other forces, as she had no coryza symptoms and there are a host of other toxins available over the acreage they wander. We've had tons of rain this summer and some fearsome fungi have popped up en masse.

Of those that I originally treated that haven't died, all seem to have recovered completely, with the exception of a little tell-tale clear nasal discharge that smells just very faintly reminiscent of the original foulness. There are still over half that seem impervious to it, so I hope that's a good sign. One of my laying hens resumed laying this past week, so all of my layers that haven't been broody or raising chicks are laying now, save one. I caught them conspiring to build nests in the woods, because I've been taking all their eggs and not allowing them to bring more chicks into their bacteria infested world until the plague is stayed. They begrudgingly returned home.

Thanks! An RN I work with suggested KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) sold for fish; I read up on it and it has mixed reviews. My larger birds have all almost recovered and most of the smaller ones that didn't die in my absence. I lost several of my little ones, partly b/c I was out of town and left them in the care of my beloved, but non-bird-loving neighbor who did her best to keep up with all the separate factions, but there was really no one to keep up with them except Walter, who still isn't quite himself, and the dog, who is a spry 13, but somewhat apathetic about chu (if not strangers) and possibly hard of hearing. I'm back up to 7 layers now, which is encouraging.

update:

Apparently the PP is very hard to find; not at Lowes, Walmart, Tractor Supply, local feed/seed… unless I talked to wrong people. Generally found in pool sections, I think; but I used some iodine tabs I'd been saving for a rainy day. I've had no more chickens get sick and the ones who have been sick and haven't died are recovering; some seem to have recovered fully. I would say 3/5 never showed any symptoms; out of those, only one developed symptoms late.

Back to Tx, I changed my strategy with the last of the sick ones, which are mostly about 5 weeks old; using iodine in their water and treating eyes with colloidal silver. The silver is very expensive, but it has been more effective; birds that can't see are less likely to forage and eat and the silver has cleared the foam out of their eyes in as little as one treatment (though some just had their 3rd b/c they still look a little hazy.. they are hard to hold down for this, too. The ones I lost early on had stopped eating and died as a result of starvation (or depression) as much as anything. So far I haven't lost any of these little ones and I've not used any antibiotic and only used oregano oil maybe once or twice. My layers are starting to lay again, my alpha roo has finally found his voice after being mute for over a month (he got really skinny and was quite pitiful.) I'm still putting ACV in water for all my bigger chu; no Tx other than that, they are all in good shape still.

Thanks, that's quite an arsenal; I'll have to research. Tylan (Tylosine) is a protein synthesis inhibitor, and it doesn't just inhibit protein synthesis of the bacteria, but also the bird, which is why it's so dangerous; it destroys tissue and prevents it from growing. What it doesn't do is wipe out the bacteria entirely. All my larger birds seem like they are right as rain, except 3 have that clear nasal discharge, and one is almost clear of an eye infection. I'm still putting silver drops in the eyes of several of my little ones and so far none have died and they are recovering. They have also been drinking water with iodine tablets, used per instructions for water purification. The last group I alternated oregano oil (inconsistently) and Tylan shots. 6/10 of those died.

I noticed that several of the antibiotics on the list say "control" rather than kill or cure or obliterate… implying that what you are dealing with is essentially a colonization of the bacteria that will be present for the life of the bird; making it officially a lifelong carrier (and the reason why mass culling is considered the only option by many.) I'm in search of something that wipes it out entirely, or at least renders it unable to reproduce, without causing harm to the bird.

On another update, I did want to state for the record that 2 of the wilder birds died of the illness; I did not attempt to treat them, as they were too difficult to catch and my work schedule has been hectic lately. But that's evidence that far ranging isn't in itself a failsafe; though those birds on the whole seem more resistant and fewer by far have shown symptoms in comparison with those that stay close to the house and prefer to be fed out of a bag.

Back
Top Bottom