Surviving Minnesota!

They were ordered through a Feed Mill so I don't know if the Hatchery called the Feed mill or not. But Hoover's happily replaced all 11 hens and 1 rooster. The following week I received 12 BR hens, 2 roosters and 3 Silver laced Wyndotte Hens for my troubles. So I was very impressed with customer service after the mix up. Now my only trouble is who to pick up and pet first and distinguishing between the breeds. It will be a fun first ride into layers.

That's good!

Here they are . All alive . RC brown Leghorn , Silver Penciled Rock , 2 Dark Brahma males and 1 free exotic ( EE ) probably a cockerel since it is free . Total 16 .

Here they are . All alive . RC brown Leghorn , Silver Penciled Rock , 2 Dark Brahma males and 1 free exotic ( EE ) probably a cockerel since it is free . Total 16 .
Cute! Where did you get them? Purely poultry still hasn't sent an email saying my chicks have shipped. Oh well, it's still early... Right? ...Getting anxious...

They were ordered through a Feed Mill so I don't know if the Hatchery called the Feed mill or not. But Hoover's happily replaced all 11 hens and 1 rooster. The following week I received 12 BR hens, 2 roosters and 3 Silver laced Wyndotte Hens for my troubles. So I was very impressed with customer service after the mix up. Now my only trouble is who to pick up and pet first and distinguishing between the breeds. It will be a fun first ride into layers.

Instead of a feed mill. you could stop here once or twice a week and have a new chick each time.

Instead of a feed mill. you could stop here once or twice a week and have a new chick each time.
Ralphie you are going to be a bad influence in the future....I'm already researching chicken bunk beds!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Uh-Oh. So I went home. Went down to Dixie right away to see if all was well in the broody coop. No Dixie. Go to lift the egg box lid on the main coop and there she is sitting on a freshly laid buckeye egg. Broody coop just became a version of broody jail. Only eggs, food and water are provided for her and it's dark , but she can't get out for the rest of today. After lunch and before I headed back to work.... She was setting on her designated eggs, and she growled at me. I wouldn't mind putting her in the main coop with the eggs, but with the egg eating labrador and heavy footed wyandottes and buckeye, I'd be worried the hatching eggs would be at risk over the next 21 days. I quickly talked myself back into keeping her in a private broody coop.

Back
Top Bottom