Surviving Minnesota!

qsa0w9.jpg

This was them all sleeping last night, before the storm hit.
When the storm hit they were freaking out.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out a breed for next year to add to next years breeding flock.

Any Ideas?

I am thinking Fufu type and rare or heritage. I have looked at Houdan. I think they look cool, Fufu people could get into them. I cannot find a breeder other than mypetchickens, McMurray or Sandhill.

I would like to get something that is show quality or would have a chance to make show quality offspring.

Any Ideas? Suggestions.

I was looking at other breeds too and am open to suggestions there. I would like to find something not everyone is hatching and especially people on this thread, I hate competing with friends for sales on a hobby..

btw I have discovered I am selling my creamettes WAAAAAAAY to cheep.... Even my plans for the Doms next year when compared to what those places sell them at..

Icelandics? They are so colorful and rare here. I found 1 breeder in Wisconsin. Have no idea if they are show worthy though
idunno.gif

If the nest boxes are lower than the roosts, They'll sleep on the roosts. You can also block off the nest boxes until trained on the roost. But it sounds like the girls are learning already where they sleep.

Wyandottes. Bantam sized will make them Fu-Fu. The BLRW people want BAD. And Gold Laced too.
Cool, thanks. When I get the boxes built and in there, I will block them off temporarily until I am sure they won't sleep in them.

OK folks, I noticed something last night and now after doing some searching, I am slightly worried. One of my GLW roo's is whistling when he breaths? whistle in, whistle out. It started last night at bedtime. No sneezing and no discharge on his beak. It's very faint and it took me quite a while last night to figure out who it was. When they were all snug in their coop last night I didn't hear it but then this morning he is whistling again.....is this a rooster thing or do I have a possible sinus infection on my hands????

He is active, eating and shows no signs of being sick....and I know they are GREAT at hiding being sick so I thought I would ask your opinion on how to proceed?

I also feed Fermented feed...could he have gotten a little wet seed stuck somewhere to cause the whistle?

UPDATE: Just ordered some VetRX but it will not get here until Tuesday....anyone know anywhere close that may carry it? I am about 75 miles from Duluth. Don't know if there is anyone there who may carry it.

Last edited:
They are Black Swedish x Pekin. When they feather out they either are white, or they have the color pattern of a Holstein
They were for sale,
1f602.png

someone is actually coming to get them tomorrow.

Proving once again what P.T. Barnum said long ago is still correct..

lau.gif

I am thinking of finding a support group so I can learn to live in peace knowing waterfowl exist in the world.....

Oh and for about a second and a half you had me with the Holstein colored ducks, that would be cool..but then I returned to my real world position on ducks.

Last edited:
qsa0w9.jpg

This was them all sleeping last night, before the storm hit.
When the storm hit they were freaking out.

These guys are so cute!

Icelandics? They are so colorful and rare here. I found 1 breeder in Wisconsin. Have no idea if they are show worthy though
idunno.gif

There is a rabbit breeder in the North Branch area who also breeds and sells Icelandic (and a couple other) chickens. You can follow her/contact her at North Woods Bunny Barn on FB. Icelandics are a landrace, do they have an SOP? I do like the look of them.... But, you know, I've gotten my last chicken for the year...

Stay cool, peeps! It's a hot one today ~

Well I am back home . Got in about 10:15 last night . Trying to catch up on things . Been mowing . Taking a break .

I found a new berry growing . It is a purple raspberry with the growth habit of the black raspberry . I will have to give credit to the birds for planting it . I have several seedling plants pop up . Likely out of my purple Brandywine or Royality . They have the growth habit of the reds .

Black raspberry and purple are getting ripe . Looks like I may get to harvest most of them before my next trip .

These guys are so cute!

There is a rabbit breeder in the North Branch area who also breeds and sells Icelandic (and a couple other) chickens. You can follow her/contact her at North Woods Bunny Barn on FB. Icelandics are a landrace, do they have an SOP? I do like the look of them.... But, you know, I've gotten my last chicken for the year...

Stay cool, peeps! It's a hot one today ~
Landraces are not consistent enough for a SOP

Back
Top Bottom