Surviving Minnesota!

BC, I believe that your DH is spoiling you!  Does he not know that unless he owns a Bakery that baking pies is definitely woman's work in the marriage manual?

Layers, too bad about the pork, as my mouth was watering at the thought of it smoking.  Volleyball has become big time in this day and age both at High School and College levels.  I know that both the U of Minn. and UMD are highly rated in their respective divisions.

I only have a small quantity of firewood which is ready for the woodstove or fireplace, but I have several cords of well aged lags ready for cutting and splitting.  We usually burn about 3 cords a year because my wife likes it.  I would just turn up the temp on the gas furnace if it were totally up to me, but I feel the need to humor her so meals and pies are ready on time!!

The apple pie she speaks of is not not baked :)

It's a boozy drink!

Now that I learn BC's DH is concocting cocktails as opposed to pies I am somewhat relieved. This does not mean that I in any way condone contributing to the alcoholic consumption and revelry or debauchery associated with the vile liquid. In my experience it seems to cause people to do things which should not be done, Such as develop chickens in breeds such as Silkie, Naked Neck, Serama and etc.

As you may discern from this I do not consume much alcohol and do not keep up with the myriad cocktail recipes which seem to proliferate.
Anything other than Scotch and water or Makers Mark straight up is not my cup of tea, and no I am not a Long Island Tea enthusiast.

LOL, Ed. I'm not a big consumer of etOH myself. When I do though it is special occasion. Or my mint is ready in the garden and I have a lime in the fridge and a good day's work in and chicken tv on. I think I sat down twice last summer for those type of days. Wanted more.... but didn't.
Christmas Eve we have a party...so that will be my next froo-fala. DH loves his Colorado Kool-Aid. And this Apple Pie business: He shares around campfires when we are RVing. He usually comes into the camper late and there is not much time from awake to deep REM after a jar with friends. Cousins have sampled and ranted and raved about it and it's inspired him to get out the outdoor gas burner and big turkey cooking kettle that he throws the cider, cinnamon such in.

Last edited:
My two cents, Layers. Go to school, get educated. Sports second. I like you're tenacity and I think you'll go far. You're certainly driven. But you better have a back up plan. Getting involved with adult "Days of our Lives -Sports -Politics" will give you nothing but headaches and maybe even a fight that you know maybe whole story-maybe not. Keeping the drama on the Down Low has always been my motto and served me well. I tell my kids just go out there, enjoy your friends and game, have fun.

Cheers to that.

I don't play the high school sports political game very well.  So my kids are on JV and not on Varsity.  You have to work at our school to get a kid on Varsity in the 8th grade.  You do a lot of ticking off of families and players when you move 8th graders above 10-12th graders who bust their butts with the best of them and pay for expensive camps, drive to and fro for summer leagues, and then get benched behind a youngster with political pull and a bit of talent.  And it ruins programs when they all quit.  So I'm against moving up young kids.  Personally. I've watched our girl Basketball program almost decimated by this strategy.  DH says it's been going on since the beginning of time.  Just because it has doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
I don't care how good you are.  Alot more comes out of comradery and team play than personal acceleration. "There is no 'I' in Team." And if it isn't 'fun' any more then you're playing for the wrong reasons. Running is an individual sport.

And as for coaches.  There are good and bad. For certain.  DH coached Little league the few years that our kids were in it.  He saw it all....as there is as you can imagine a myriad of 'parenting' techniques being reflected in children and their attitudes.  And he would take the heat for who was playing and who wasn't getting played enough.  We had an excellent coach for a special tournament last year who volunteered his time in June for this tournament.  We played tough teams and faired not so well at that level of play with a small school team.  One Mom came unglued with this guy...while everyone else thanked him for his time and efforts.  Guess who looked the fool.

My two cents, Layers.  Go to school, get educated.  Sports second.  I like you're tenacity and I think you'll go far.  You're certainly driven.  But you better have a back up plan.  Getting involved with adult "Days of our Lives -Sports -Politics" will give you nothing but headaches and maybe even a fight that you know maybe  whole story-maybe not.  Keeping the drama on the Down Low has always been my motto and served me well.  I tell my kids just go out there, enjoy your friends and game, have fun. 

Soapbox is kicked out from underneath BC.  :oops:

Ed.  This apple Pie is a liquor recipe bottled in a Mason Jar.  I would love the baked goods.  So alas I'm not as lucky as you think I am.  :gig  

Our teams actually got ruined because more kids were angry cause the coaches were playing seniority rather then better players. The worst part about it is that its ok if football does that but not any other sports.

I think the whole team should strive to be as good as the best kid on the team, rather then having the rest of the team stoop down for a few players..

I'm watching one of UMNs VB games right now.

I got my first egg from my Yokohamas!!! It was huge. weighed in at 0.90 ounces or 26 grams. Here it is with a quarter on the end of it. And here it is again with a quarter.... The following is with a DIME on it. So small!
Awesome Ralphie! Congrats! Are you ready to start hatching in a few weeks?

Back
Top Bottom