Surviving Minnesota!

H m m m m Ralphie - where would I find this mattress? Mattress-in-a-box? Smart financial move. The last mattress we bought I worked at Becker Furniture World. The mattress set was $2,800. The mattress rep decides IF you can purchase one at manufacturer cost. I paid $420 ! Incredible! Not going to happen again. $300 sounds good. And he says it is comfortable?

They love it, but they have only had it about 4 months now.

I will find out where they got it.

Oh, as I recall, they simply put the mattress in a box on top of the old foundation. I could be wrong about that. I know if we get one for upstairs that is our plan, we have a king foundation up there now ( the two doubles type foundation).

Last edited:
Busy weekend here so far in calving we have about 80% bulls hopefully this keeps up. I named my bottle calf Butch, which was what my last one was named too
1f602.png
Here's a bad picture of him

So far out of the Cochin chicks I have 2 Frizzles. So I'm keeping those 2 plus one other, if the Frizzles don't turn out to my standards I'll sell them to A a relative of mine who wants some

They aren't very photogenic

We got the horses in this weekend too so hopefully I can ride today after school. My mare needs her hooves trimmed but hopefully that can be done this weekend

9 week old chicks spent the night in the coop on Saturday it was a pain getting them in last night but hopefully they figure it out tonight so I'm not chasing them around everywhere. Yesterday we also got some oats from a neighbor, we got a pickup box load in trade for tightening the wires on the bin.

Had a track meet on Saturday. Got 1st in 300m hurdles, tied for 2nd in high jump, our 4×400 got 3rd place and our 4×2 would have gotten second or third but we were DQed

Last edited:
I am so glad top see this as I was confused. The only name I know Banty by is banty or Nanook (her icelandic name) And the name of her lead dog.

Oh and if you told me you real name when we met, I must confess, I forgot it. I am bad with names and other things that require brain cells.
Me Too!!!
Afternoon everyone! Actually got outside today to do some outside work! The snow is coming though....I can feel it in my bones- arthritis ya know. It was 45 today but the wind was fierce and made it feel more like 30...I had to wear my carharts!

So the broody mommas have been free ranging yesterday and today... they had the chicks out in the barn area only twice today and probably realized it was too cold for the youngsters. They have spent the rest of the day in the coop. So far so good between the flock and the chicks. The mommas are even allowing some of the hens to come into the coop and lay! Yesterday they weren't allowed, it was really quite a sight to watch. The hens complained all afternoon!! Today though they let them in. No fights either that I saw. I finally started leaving them alone semi confident that the mommas would protect them. They will still get locked up at night though so nobody gets stepped on in the morning before I let them out. Apparently 6am is not early enough and they are a feisty bunch when I open that coop door!

Has anyone ever trusted leaving the coop door open into a locked run?

So now as promised (more like warned) picture overload!!! Took them yesterday when the sun was shining.

Piggy back riding on momma....

Almost a perfect mirror image!

you can almost see all 12 here...

Here's my little one I warmed up last week. There is a cream color to the fluff???

I love the coloring on this little one. Check out the feet, they have grey striped feathers on the bottom half and black on the top!

This is one of two chicks that are almost all black, even under neath is not light cream like the rest, more like a grey. Could they be Cochins fathered by the BR roo? Kind of like a backwards color combo?

Little Roo?

Cozy under mommas wing!

My favorite one again!

Here is my first one hatched...an almost black Cochin

A Cochin with Barred wings???

Here's my other all black one except he has a little white spot on his wings
My pop door is open all summer long but I have a secure run that I lock up every night.

ETA: Cute chicks, keep the pictures coming!!!!

Last edited:
Busy weekend here so far in calving we have about 80% bulls hopefully this keeps up. I named my bottle calf Butch, which was what my last one was named too
1f602.png
Here's a bad picture of him

So far out of the Cochin chicks I have 2 Frizzles. So I'm keeping those 2 plus one other, if the Frizzles don't turn out to my standards I'll sell them to A a relative of mine who wants some

They aren't very photogenic

We got the horses in this weekend too so hopefully I can ride today after school. My mare needs her hooves trimmed but hopefully that can be done this weekend

9 week old chicks spent the night in the coop on Saturday it was a pain getting them in last night but hopefully they figure it out tonight so I'm not chasing them around everywhere. Yesterday we also got some oats from a neighbor, we got a pickup box load in trade for tightening the wires on the bin.

Had a track meet on Saturday. Got 1st in 300m hurdles, tied for 2nd in high jump, our 4×400 got 3rd place and our 4×2 would have gotten second or third but we were DQed

Wow! Busy week ILLs. Glad you can do all that and congrats on the hurdles. Even I can tell that 1st is a good place to be. second and third are nothing to cry about either.

Back
Top Bottom