Surviving Minnesota!

Loving the chick pics Holm. Thought I would share a few from mine that hatched yesterday. I was very happy until I checked my Delaware incubator and found all of the chicks have curled feet like in the third picture. I am trying to decide whether to cull all of them or make boots for them. Has anyone had luck with straightening them?
IMG_20180317_123128489.jpg IMG_20180317_123037792.jpg IMG_20180317_123323456.jpg

So....The incubator situation fell through for last night. I only gave him him about 12 hrs notice.....he's going to get everything ready for next week.

However, I got home this morning after basketball for the older two and only saw 3 hens out in the run. The 4th is planted on an egg in the nesting box, laying down flat. Granted, she's only been there a couple of hours, tops, but just in case she stays there, I slid an egg from the other box under her and 2 I collected yesterday afternoon. Snuck a couple of the golf balls out from under her. I figure if she's still on them tonight, we'll see what happens. If not, I'll collect the eggs.

15213109214251267534828.jpg

So....The incubator situation fell through for last night. I only gave him him about 12 hrs notice.....he's going to get everything ready for next week.

However, I got home this morning after basketball for the older two and only saw 3 hens out in the run. The 4th is planted on an egg in the nesting box, laying down flat. Granted, she's only been there a couple of hours, tops, but just in case she stays there, I slid an egg from the other box under her and 2 I collected yesterday afternoon. Snuck a couple of the golf balls out from under her. I figure if she's still on them tonight, we'll see what happens. If not, I'll collect the eggs.

View attachment 1299984
Good luck!

Loving the chick pics Holm. Thought I would share a few from mine that hatched yesterday. I was very happy until I checked my Delaware incubator and found all of the chicks have curled feet like in the third picture. I am trying to decide whether to cull all of them or make boots for them. Has anyone had luck with straightening them?
View attachment 1299973 View attachment 1299963View attachment 1299966
I have never had any luck trying to fix the legs or feet.

View attachment 1299984

Good luck doing the pancake in the nest is a pretty sure sign they are staying for the duration..

View attachment 1299973 View attachment 1299963View attachment 1299966
Grow them out, cull them and then start over. That is not a trait you want to breed.

I had a feeling I was being too optimistic. She's out walking around now. I'll leave the eggs until time to put them to bed. If she goes back to them we might be in business.
If you want broodies you can come pick up some Silkies lol. I’m only going to keep a pair. Or Cochins are great broodies too.

Back
Top Bottom