Surviving Minnesota!

I
This is what we always called Elephant Ear. My mom said it is called Velvet-leaf, and is invasive in MN.

View attachment 1847814
I believe that is burdock. Does it get nasty huge burrs on it if you let it live that long? The roots are edible IF you can dig them up—grown as a vegetable in Asia. I persecute it without mercy, but it perseveres. (sigh) People around here seem to think it is rhubarb when it’s young.

My Grandpa would call the Plantains Elephant ear also.

Holly hocks. I had a few planted in my cottage/rock garden. They are neat and add interest with their height. But they do get a case of the uglies when they are done blooming. getting brown and such. I had a 'heritage' black plant that seemed to hang on a few years. supposedly bienniel but I swear that plant hung on longer. Maybe because it wasnt allowed to bloom much with the deer browsing on it. LOL. Jerry that's why most things need tending up here and it requires a rifle the first of November. Just saying.
Anyways for a showier hollyhock I recommend a double. Grandpa would put them in his vegetable garden to attract pollinators.

2d5fdcd642d99e5cf5f6768cace54953.jpg
Here is Minnesota Burdock. Or we used to call it cockle burrs on the farm. They get in cow tails and manes something aweful. Very noxious. flower is usually purple. Photo is from the internet.

While searching for a photo I see people were selling plants. Apparently the root has some homeopathic use. IDK...

Sentry sounds like quite the gentleman. Congrats! What a find! :thumbsup

I’ve got three cockerels up with the big chickens on charges of attempted ravishing... why do they feel like they ought to press their attentions on the very smallest pullets?? There are girls much closer to their size, but noooo. I’ve got two for sure (maybe two more) left with the littles and maybe one tommie/jake... maybe. So... I’ll have plenty to choose from. Maybe I’ll find a few nice boys, too. :fl

Nope, this has very soft silky leaves and gets those yellow flowers on it. They get a crown shaped type seed pod on them. That is a picture of Velvet-leaf, and they have a slightly heart shaped leaf in real life if I remember right. Burdock are just big old green leaves and are a pain the butt.
Oh yes... you’re right of course. @Bogtown Chick has the right pic for burdock. What is that other one that @hmarg06 had? It fooled me. :confused: I’m sure I’ve seen it around here, too. I cut down the burdock whenever I see it. This little gal found one that I missed. What a mess! She stood patiently while I cleaned her all up, though. Sweet girl.
613ACB91-933E-416F-964F-70D4335A1261.jpeg

View attachment 1847824 Here is Minnesota Burdock. Or we used to call it cockle burrs on the farm. They get in cow tails and manes something aweful. Very noxious. flower is usually purple. Photo is from the internet.

While searching for a photo I see people were selling plants. Apparently the root has some homeopathic use. IDK...
Those are still cockle burrs to me..

Back
Top Bottom