Surviving Minnesota!

Morning . We made real pumpkin pie from scratch yesterday . Cooked the pumpkin and crust from scratch . I like my filling done with beaters not in the blender . You can taste the pumpkin . Well we used the last butternut squash for it . Today starts a 4 day firearm season . Seems guys are having trouble finding shotgun slugs for sale . IL still requires slugs . Some say the last state IDK . Ralphie keep yer powder dry .

That's how I did the pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, totally from scratch crust and all. The pumpkin was squash but I don't know what kind. It was good.

Morning . We made real pumpkin pie from scratch yesterday . Cooked the pumpkin and crust from scratch . I like my filling done with beaters not in the blender . You can taste the pumpkin . Well we used the last butternut squash for it . Today starts a 4 day firearm season . Seems guys are having trouble finding shotgun slugs for sale . IL still requires slugs . Some say the last state IDK . Ralphie keep yer powder dry .

I live just south of the rifle zone. So I am forced to use slugs, but even when I go to Togo or Duluth I bring my 12 ga along with my .270

Slugs are extremely hard to find. Especially the good ones.

We can buy the light load sub sonic ones easily enough, but the regular loads are hard to find.

Sabots are even harder to find. I think I have 10-12 boxes of them is all. 5 to a box at $16 a box. But they will out perform a 30/30 in my opinion. I have a rifled 12ga with a 2x6 scope on it. It has never had anything but Sabots shot out of it.

From a lead sled, recently won in a raffle the WW knows nothing about. I can have the holes at 100 yards on center and touching each other. At 200 yards they aren’t that tight but they aren’t bad, but I have to aim about 6 inches high.

If you notice the chart shows them dead center at 150 yards.
D8B08F13-7B33-499D-A200-DCF7C14949DD.png

here is the 30/30 for comparison.
A74E77C9-0E44-4D39-B9D2-6023DB7F0C93.jpeg

while velocity might be better on the 30/30 the whallup is more from the 12ga.

at 100 yards they have identical killing power.

Even at 200 yards they are fairly close.

30/30 shows data at 300 yards, I have never fired the 12 ga that far, but I doubt I could hit a target at that range with it, unless I held it at a 45 degree angle.

I have never seen a place I could shoot 300 yards where I hunt. I did go to Wyoming hunting once. I didn’t bring a 12 ga. I brought my .284 and the 270 SS back up. I killed quite a few deer in Wyoming but it wasn’t as enjoyable as MN hunting. Maybe it was because my hunting partners were all drunks and slept till noon and partied to 1am. Luckily, my brother was with and between the two of us we shot all the deer except one..

moral of story, never go on a out of state hunting trip with people you don’t know well..

Other moral of story, don’t look down on shotguns and slugs.
D8B08F13-7B33-499D-A200-DCF7C14949DD.png

I could have given you a few hundred pumpkins. I ended up feeding them to the chickens.

I got 15 pumpkins from my garden this year, they got some freeze sitting on the porch when it got colder than it was supposed to, so most of them rotted before I could cook them. Chickens got all they wanted, then I threw the others in the field for deer.

I saw a buck chasing 4-5 does/fawns today.

I was not hunting at the time. I had just taken care of the birds. Went and looked at the bees.

Then I went into the machine shed, got a tape measure and wAs measuring something on the trailer. I looked up and he was in the pasture about 30 yards from the bees. Chasing the does.

I pretended not to see him and strolled my stand and grabbed my muzzleloader. And he was gone.

I now have another muzzleloader in the shed loaded and ready to go. It’s an accurate one but uses a flash pan so it may or may not fire, and with some delay..

My luck is not good.

Last edited:
Ralphie it is unfortunate that you use up all of your luck on these raffles that the WW does not know about. You could use some of that luck to win the Powerball or Mega Millions, and then there would be no need to enter raffles, as you would have to erect a new pole building to hold all of your valuable assets.
I never win those, maybe because I seldom enter them.

But I do really well in the local raffles.

Back
Top Bottom