Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Welcome to the thread and to the breed!
Very cute... but... my husband would say this breaks one of his three rules.... all living creatures here...
1)  must have shoulders
2) must have a job
3) and only the humans are allowed in the house.
:lau

well, tell him chickens are people too!

as for shoulders, they have em, and a job, yup. they've got that too. (growing up to be meat or lay eggs or protect the flock)

lol. Yes... They have both. The shoulders rule ed established when the kids were young to prevent them from making lizards and snakes as pets

I am wondering about sexing SFH at about 2 months. I have 6 of them, none showing distinct red in the comb and most are showing deep red blotches in the feathers. Is feather coloring at all a method of sexing the way it is with EEs? I haven't gotten many pictures, but here a few I was able to get this morning:

And 2 close ups of one with a black tuft:

This one was the biggest chick from the beginning but they could be slightly different ages accounting for the early size difference. I had assumed he was a cockerel but no further evidence of that being true:

Last edited:
I am wondering about sexing SFH at about 2 months. I have 6 of them, none showing distinct red in the comb and most are showing deep red blotches in the feathers. Is feather coloring at all a method of sexing the way it is with EEs? I haven't gotten many pictures, but here a few I was able to get this morning:

that first pic of the 3, i'd say are all roos... sorry. any time you have the dark red developing on their wings that's usually a good sign. even if the combs aren't getting red, they are much larger from what I can see, than a pullet would have.

the 2 crested, i'd guess the first one might be a roo from the color the second maybe a pullet, but the crested ones are harder to tell until later usually.

but yes, color is a good indicator, if it's there.

Last edited:
Can you all give a good guess on sexing my 3 new babies...pg 644 ...
pictures are not very good but give it your best shot...I will try getting better pictures tomorrow time allowing
I cleaned out our shed and have almost got it ready for all of my (cant take the cold at all) bantam babies...
run is almost ready...just have to redo the door...and latching for safety

Back
Top Bottom