Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hello, I have3 handsome SFH Roosters 5 months old. I am unable to keep them in fear of my neighbors complaining I am in a non farm animal zone. I am going to keep the middle one in hopes 1 wont be so bad. The other one is white and red with a bit of blue and a black & red with white flowering absolutely gorgeous. I am in CA would anyone be interested in adopting them or know of someone looking for good breeding stock. They are hand raised friendly and organic fed. Sorry this is the only pic I have on my laptop I can post some more if interested.

Handsome boys! Im trying to find a home for my roo also. Mine is 16 weeks but significantly less developed than yours. Before I rehome him can someone confirm this is indeed a cockerel? I parted the feathers on his back and do see some pointy shiny ones coming in so Im pretty sure but would hate to give him away if knowing. thanks!

and a brown leghorn named stripe lol
That's too funny! I can't take credit for either name and have been trying to switch them since day 1 but unfortunately they have stuck :/ Now they fit their names, kinda.

I'm thinking about naming the SFH roo I have waiting for me Bruiser, but I'm not sure. Can't wait til I get him but hope the current flock will accept him. He is a "baby" compared to everyone else but is fully feathered.

On another note, DH and I have been watching Chicken TV every evening and watch Stripe be vigilantly aware of our dogs milling about. Granted, they are dogs and think that its okay to greet the chickens with a wet nose to the fluffy butt (which is sort of funny to watch, gotta admit). Anywho, I have a theory about Stripe and her very light coloring and her temperament/attitude fitting together because she is more attractive to prey.

I know that in the past there were discussions pertaining to the lack of prevalence of the light/white/splash females, especially. Does anyone who have or had light/white/splash pullets or hens notice this same type of temperament? I think she is more on guard and is wary of any potential predator because of her vulnerable feather coloring. But this theory could be bunk as well. Just wanted to hear other SFH owners' thoughts.

I have 3 light phase SFH hens one is all white with blue highlights. The white one is a bit flighty but a sweetheart wants to be with me all the time another is normal and one sits on the roof outside of the coop waiting to be owl food. I have wrangle her up. She's not a care in the world. Lol

Hello, I have3 handsome SFH Roosters 5 months old. I am unable to keep them in fear of my neighbors complaining I am in a non farm animal zone. I am going to keep the middle one in hopes 1 wont be so bad. The other one is white and red with a bit of blue and a black & red with white flowering absolutely gorgeous. I am in CA would anyone be interested in adopting them or know of someone looking for good breeding stock. They are hand raised friendly and organic fed. Sorry this is the only pic I have on my laptop I can post some more if interested.

wish you lived close to me, I'm in Louisiana- I'd take the black one off your hands even tho he is crested... anyone know of a black based non crested roo in need of a home???

wish you lived close to me, I'm in Louisiana- I'd take the black one off your hands even tho he is crested... anyone know of a black based non crested roo in need of a home???
Hi. I am in Livingston, Texas. I don't know how far I am from you but I am going to have a couple or more black based cockerels. I have some pretty young babies but also have one that was born in June or July. This older one is not crested. The younger black chicks that I would be willing to part with are probably going to be crested. PM if you want to talk about them more.

I will ship eggs after the first of the year out of a roo in my avatar and a dark hens...
My other trio is light.
All are uncrested...

I was out of town for a few weeks and one of my "pullets" turned into a cockerel! So disappointed, I thought I would be safe buying at 12 weeks but I guess crested are sneaky.

So do the crested boys mature slower than non-crested? I have a 13 week old, non-crested, and I also assumed it would be safe by now to declare her a pullet.

Some SFH cockerels can show at the 3 month range but I have found them to be relatively slow in maturing. One of my cockerels is blue-based and I went back and forth on him until 4+months before it was definately determined to be a cockerel. And he was uncrested.

Back
Top Bottom