Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Thank you, I'm really excited to see what they end up looking like when they grow up. Unfortunately, I don't think the other two are going to hatch. Today is day 23.

Newbie question here - do crested swedish flower hen chicks look like polish chicks? I got 2 a week ago, and one looks like i hoped (beautiful grey!) But the other is so much smaller and has a "poof" head as my husband calls it.

Last edited:
Newbie question here - do crested swedish flower hen chicks look like polish chicks? I got 2 a week ago, and one looks like i hoped (beautiful grey!) But the other is so much smaller and has a "poof" head as my husband calls it.

No, they don't usually have that big of a crest. With that being said, it could be a vaulted skull resulting from the breeder breeding crested to crested...which is a no-no. A vaulted skull means the chick's head may be vulnerable if it were to be pecked or something. Also too big of a crest may make it harder for the little one to free range if she can't see. You'll just have to watch her and see how she grows out. She's really cute :)

I have 7 SFH eggs in the Incubator ...waiting on a Mother's Day hatch...
Good luck!

I´´m really excited- got 30 SFH hatching eggs directly from Sweden. Candled them 3 days ago (day 8) and 24 were developing! Hoping for one good-looking roo and at least 3 girls. The breeder also has crested, which I don´t have yet, so would be really happy about a couple of crested girls.

Good luck!

I´´m really excited- got 30 SFH hatching eggs directly from Sweden. Candled them 3 days ago (day 8) and 24 were developing! Hoping for one good-looking roo and at least 3 girls. The breeder also has crested, which I don´t have yet, so would be really happy about a couple of crested girls.
Awesome Alpine! I've always liked your birds but I'm curious to see what you get out of those directly from Sweden.

We only had 2 and lost one a month or so ago. The remaining we have is called Crazy Hair - she has a nice crest and is a mahogany brown based and now that she has more flowers after a light molt she is pretty. Not a friendly girl though and at the top of the pecking order, below our roo. I set her eggs last month and none were fertile, inspite of his efforts (he's a BCM). It is fun to watch her antics though and she lays a loverly cream tinted egg when she lays, about 3-4 a week.

Good luck!

That is awesome! Please post lots of pictures when they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom