Swedish flower rooster in pain

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
please help, My rooster got frost bite on all toes of one foot at least half way up. I have seen missing toes from this but never had it. he is growling constantly for what i take to be moaning. I truly want to keep him but i dont want him to suffer during this healing phase. I did see him mate for the first time yesterday. I have been going back and forth as to keep him or my crested cream legbar. and i had decided on him of course. they were fighting so i put him by himself in a cage until i had made up my mind. I guess thats when he got it. It has been a couple weeks. he doesnt walk unless he has to and i have not treated him in any way. I wish i could do picture but i can not. the skin around the toes looks shrink wrapped and black with swelling above that. Had he of been a Joe Blow rooster i would of culled him already but he is a sweet pet.

well, I haven't had castor oil in my house since they came out with stool softeners. LOL any other oil ? and what am i doing ? is this for pain or healing ? thank you

so probably not another oil like veggie. I just found some baby aspirin. maybe i can dissolve one in some water. or i think my DD has some yogurt in the fridge. I have 2 hens with him. shouldnt hurt any thing.

the frostbitten part probably isn't hurting anymore, but the healthy skin above it probably is sore. Aspirin (1 baby aspirin) or 1/2 advil or ibuprofen twice a day can be used to help with pain. Metacam is what the vets would prescribe, but you would have to get it online. Most people use warm epsom salt soaks once a day, but I wouldn't do that if he is outside, since it is too cold. Iodine or betadine can be applied to help keep down infection. The dead part of the foot may take a few weeks to fall off. I have only treated a couple of frostbitten toes on my bantam, and I didn't do anything, since I didn't discover it for awhile. Here is a good thread about frosty who lost both feet last winter, and was doing well the last time I checked: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842760/frost-bitten-feet

Last edited:
thank you for coming . I will go read.
hugs.gif
well, after the aspirin.

crushed baby aspirin up in the yogurt then added an egg as well. the rooster took one bite then went back to the dry food so I added some mash to it. he wouldnt have a thing to do with it but i bet the 2 hens od. That is a great story about frosty the chicken but she spent all winter and half the spring wrapping her feet and keeping her in the house. what are the odds of him being on his own with no wrap?

like you would feed one to a dog ? do i close his beak and thump ? LOL I will try that way in the am . his foot felt hot. think that would be infection? I have the denaguard.

Back
Top Bottom